Therapeutic Area Head: Fibrosis
Innovative Medicines Development
Therapeutic Area Head: Fibrosis
• Set the end to end disease level strategy for the therapeutic area-from FIH through Phase III and post-marketing data generation-in order to maximize BMS' leadership in Fibrosis
• Accelerate the early portfolio and shave nearly three years off the development time lines for our most promising new assets, while also optimizing the revenue and reach of our currently marketed products
• In partnership with the Business Development team, lead all R&D business development activities for the Fibrosis portfolio
• Provide strategic and technical leadership to build a world-class drug development team while enabling the balance between scientific excellence and operational effectiveness
• Provide leadership across Development Team Leads and Medical Leads who report into the TA head as well as partner with the regulatory, strategy/operations, and clinical functions to shape and execute the strategy
• Partner across other BMS functions such as Discovery, Development, and Commercial to inform disease strategy and to achieve objectives
• Utilize external partnerships for drug development, including CROs and other pharma companies to achieve objectives and endpoints
• MD or PhD
• Extensive pharmaceutical or biotech experience including demonstrated strong investigative medicine skills and experience
• Experience leading both early and late development organizations
• Therapeutic area knowledge/expertise
• Track record of translating organizational strategy into an effective long-term action plan
• Has influenced R&D, commercial and overall organizational strategy
• Works effectively across internal stakeholders-including Commercial and Medical-to ensure a coordinated approach with external customers
• Proven leadership experience and success with building and developing teams. Strong judge of talent and able to make tough talent decisions. Inspirational and embodies BMS Behaviors. Leads by example. Is an inclusive leader.
• Ability to work effectively in a matrix environment that includes interactions with multiple stakeholder groups; particularly demonstrated ability to work across the critical interfaces whether within RD or across the enterprise.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills, high level negotiation skills and the ability to resolve conflict in a constructive manner.
Essential Leadership Capabilities:
• Enterprise Mindset: The ability to make decisions, set priorities and share resources based on what will benefit the whole. Capable of building and maintaining networks within and outside of the organization to both strengthen the understanding of the big picture and leverage diverse perspectives, experiences and expertise to maximize performance.
• Change Agility: Capable of constantly thinking ahead and scanning the environment for opportunities. The ability to navigate ambiguity for themselves by demonstrating smart risk taking and personal resilience. Lead others through change by continuously creating the context and engaging individuals.
• Authentic Leadership: Capable of building legitimacy through cultivating honest relationships. Ability to generate trust by demonstrating the highest level of consistency between their words and their actions and maintaining integrity, especially under pressure. They role model and promote an environment of openness.
• Talent Development: Capable of maintaining a current and strategic view of talent management, aligned with the organization's priorities. This includes an understanding of the needs and diversity of the organization's current and future talent. Ability to proactively develop talent across the organization and engage external talent.