Director, Protein Sciences
Programmable DNA, the software of Life, is finally here! Twist Bioscience is developing a disruptive Synthetic DNA technology that will change the world, enabling widespread health and sustainability. Synthetic biologists will use our products to engineer how organisms produce cures to diseases, make everyday chemicals by using the atmosphere as the carbon source, enable plants to make their own fertilizers, and to create in-vivo diagnostics that alert us when we are sick, and many more applications.
We are seeking an outstanding, innovative, and creative Director to lead our protein sciences group. This director will play multiple roles within the Pharma group and will lead a team responsible for purifying and testing antibodies derived from our diverse synthetic antibody libraries.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Create a best in class protein sciences team and offer exceptional scientific and technical leadership to peers and team members
- Lead protein sciences efforts in (but not limited to) GPCR antibody production and testing
- Purification and characterization of diverse biologics, including bispecific and engineered antibodies for early-stage screening and preclinical research work
- Characterization of purified material using mass spectrometry, light scattering, IEF, HPLC and other biophysical techniques to generate data package for lead finding, optimization, and developability assessment
- Enable and lead analytical antibody testing efforts (affinity, binning, purity)
- Design and execute antibody/protein drug discovery innovative strategies
- Manage workflow of drug discovery group to ensure quality, priorities, and timelines
- Generate high-throughput transient transfection IgG production workflows in both HEK293 and CHO expression systems
- Contribute strategically to technology and product direction
- Work closely across disciplines and across multiple projects to support technology integration
- Contribute to protein sciences efforts by applying your past experience with different expression systems and instrumentation
- Offer scientific and technical leadership within your team and cross-functionally
- Manage external collaborators and serve as a key scientific liaison with external organizations
- Work closely to incorporate new technologies into Twist Bioscience and support technology integration across teams
- Ensure operations are designed and sourced appropriately to enable us to achieve our ambitious goal
What You’ll Bring to the Team
- Experience leading a team of greater than 3 people
- Your educational background includes a PhD in protein biochemistry, biological chemistry, or related discipline
- You have 5 or more years of biotechnology industry experience
- You take pride in building state-of-the-art technology capabilities and staying on top of the latest developments in the field
- You thrive in a dynamic, quickly changing environment where we were work individually and on teams
- You have a point of view, value your independent thinking, and are low ego
- You're proficient with all aspects of a high-performing antibody production process, including having significant experience with IgG transient transfection at both small (<10 ml) and large (>1L) scales, as well as downstream purification.
- You have specific experience working on membrane targets, particularly GPCRs.
- Ability to develop various HPLC based assays. Familiarity with AKTA, LC-MS, SEC-MALS, HPLC, and HIC
- Knowledge of formulation of antibody-based therapeutics
- Familiarity with protein structure-function relationships
- Your research has been published in high-impact academic journals
- You demonstrate a track record of being strong interpersonally and with experience leading a group and overseeing multi-disciplinary projects
About Twist Bioscience
At Twist Bioscience, our expertise is accelerating science and innovation by leveraging the power of scale. We have developed a proprietary semiconductor-based synthetic DNA manufacturing process featuring a high throughput silicon platform capable of producing synthetic biology tools, including genes, oligonucleotide pools and variant libraries. Our platform overcomes the current inefficiencies of synthetic DNA production, and enables cost-effective, rapid, high-quality and high throughput synthetic gene production, which in turn, expedites the design, build, test cycle to enable personalized medicines, pharmaceuticals, sustainable chemical production, improved agriculture production, diagnostics, biodetection and data storage. For more information, please visit www.twistbioscience.com. Twist Bioscience is on Twitter. Sign up to follow our Twitter feed @TwistBioscience at https://twitter.com/TwistBioscience.
Twist Bioscience Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Twist Bioscience Corporation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law.