Rheumatology Medical Science Liaison - Boston
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is a field based scientific expert that strategically supports the research and business objectives of a designated therapeutic area across the product life cycle. MSLs are the primary communicators of AbbVie science within a specific geography with healthcare professionals. MSLs are the field scientific experts on given disease states and treatment options within a designated therapeutic area. They combine strong business acumen, clinical expertise, market awareness, and serve as a conduit of information both externally and internally to a cross functional customer base internally within AbbVie. Based on therapeutic needs and product life cycles, teams may focus on certain responsibilities to a greater or lesser degree, including clinical development and pipeline support.
The MSL will cover the following territory: Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Supports research initiatives across development at the request of GPRD to include, but not limited to, site evaluation and identification, recruitment, investigator meetings, external expert identification, and external collaboration management
- Identifies, gains access to, and develops professional relationships with external experts (EEs) in therapeutic areas within assigned geography
- Routinely communicates field insights to internal business partners
- Provides education relative to disease state and AbbVie products across the product lifecycle to healthcare providers and researchers
- Continually educates self on market issues/trends and product knowledge as it pertains to specific business responsibilities in key therapeutic areas
- Works with in-field teams to develop and execute a territory plan designed to support and meet shared business objectives
- Inputs and maintains internal database as it relates to HCP interactions in respective geography
- Marketplace preparation in new therapeutic areas of interest, which includes creating awareness and relationships for AbbVie in the Medical community
- Serves as a scientific resource to commercial partners as appropriate to support activities such as Medical Congress staffing, Advisory Boards, and training initiatives
- Efficient and responsible use of resources, including financial decisions
- The MSL is accountable for providing and supporting clinical information needs within an assigned geography and supporting the MSL team and corporate needs by meeting targeted goals relevant to specific EEs MSLs provide support for strategic clinical initiatives, executes a territory business plan and team tactical plan supporting business needs, meets assigned project deadlines, and achieves annual functional goals
- Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and Procedure
- Advanced degree required (i.e., Pharm D, MD/DO, PhD) in a relevant scientific discipline. Doctorate strongly preferred in a health science or clinical discipline.
- Significant industry experience in relevant therapeutic area may be accepted in lieu of education requirements. Greater than or equal to 2 years of clinical, scientific/research, or industry related experience or equivalent required.
- Previous pharmaceutical industry experience within relevant scientific discipline preferred.
- Strong interpersonal communication and presentation skills required.
- The MSL must possess advanced problem solving and analytic skills to be able to identify, and translate specific territory and corporate needs, into an action that will achieve objectives
- Must be willing to travel up to 75% of the time
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the 'essence' and can change the course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality