Associate Director/ Director Search & Evaluation (Oncology)
- Proactively search for, identify and evaluate potential opportunities (research collaboration, in-licensing preclinical and clinical assets, platform technologies and research tools) that are consistent with external BD strategies for the advancement of AbbVie' s Oncology pipeline, and driving sustainable growth for the Company. Lead the assessment of opportunities (in conjunction with the R&D Therapeutic Area Steering Committee, functional area subject matter experts, Business Development and Acquisitions (BD&A) function and commercial organizations), including: 1) managing the interactions with external parties, 2) overseeing the evaluation process and timeline and 3) developing recommendations and proposals for senior management
- Lead the due diligence for advanced opportunities, prepare initial technical documents and present to senior management.
- In close collaboration with transaction-focused colleagues (BD&A), Alliance Management, and internal legal counsel contribute towards the partnering process, including term sheet and agreement negotiation. Communicate status of ongoing deals to key internal stakeholders on a timely basis, including preparation of opportunity assessments and summaries for executive-level audiences. Deliver oral and written presentations to senior management to seek approval for new opportunities.
- Build the AbbVie brand via participation and presenting AbbVie's Vision & Mission at key scientific and industry forums. Network with external parties to ensure awareness of AbbVie key capabilities and BD objectives.
- Facilitate and maintain opportunity identification and assessment processes to move projects forward in the most efficient and effective manner and provide recommendations for dismissing/deprioritizing ideas early and effectively.
- Facilitate creation of institutional memory for opportunities by providing clear, concise assessments and recommendations for future reference. Fully leverage new and existing external and internal opportunity management tools to support the operations of the growing S&E group as it relates to tracking incoming opportunities.
- Support efforts for creating evergreen external BD strategies that align with AbbVie's overall TA strategy and pipeline goals.
- Advanced degree in a Science Field (MS, PharmD, PhD, MD)
- 8-10 years of pharmaceutical/ biotechnology industry work experience required. Prior experience in business development-related roles (Search & Evaluation, Business Development and Licensing, M&A, Corporate Strategy, Alliance Management, Technology Transfer) is strongly desirable.
- Must possess a solid foundation in drug discovery processes with familiarity in one aspect of Drug Development (e.g., CMC, pre-clinical, clinical development, medical affairs, regulatory affairs).
- Possession of basic knowledge of generally accepted Business Development practices, e.g. financial, contracting, governance review is preferred.
- Strong Project management/ leadership skills to lead/manage multifunctional teams to evaluate target opportunities, and produce high quality analyses. Ability to drive projects to deliver timely results and follow through on commitments.
- Strong communication skills to effectively communicate business strategies and capabilities internally and externally, present individual and team recommendations clearly and concisely, and promote cross-functional communication.
- Strong networking skills to reach out to a broad range of industry decision makers to keep abreast of emerging opportunities.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead a team strongly preferred.
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers cross functionally and with partners outside of the team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change the course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Internal: S&E, BD&A, AbbVie Ventures, TLC, R&D personnel, Legal, Executive Management
External: Partnering companies, BD from other pharma, Biotech CEOs, Academic institutions.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled