Senior Data Scientist
Amgen is seeking a Senior Data Scientist to be based in our Thousand Oaks, CA global headquarters, who will report into the Director of Quality Data Science.
The Senior Data Scientist will lead strategic planning and development of data science, natural language processing machine learning, and artificial intelligence capabilities across Quality Data Science. Additionally, the Incumbent will lead cross functional teams on projects and/or programs with aims to systematically integrate data, derive insights, and automate processes.
The focus of Quality Data Science (QDS) is to advance the utilization of data, analytics, artificial intelligence and automation to unlock and leverage Amgen data. QDS aims to accomplish this by supplying solutions that efficiently provide insights and intelligence for the Quality and Operations functions. This includes ensuring data access, application of appropriate analysis methods to unlock information and meaningful visualization and interpretation of information. An untapped resource within quality is the preponderance of data stored as text, as such QDS has made text analytics a primary focus.
Primary Responsibilities for the Senior Data Scientist includes:
- Acts as a technical lead on the development, implementation and maintenance of a suite of analytical tools that utilize natural language processing (NLP) and machine learning (ML) to identify trends and generate insights from both structured and unstructured data within Amgen's Operations function
- Mentors QDS staff on the application of NLP and ML in solving business problems
- Stays current on research and industry trends, identifies opportunity areas, and leads innovation projects that demonstrate value
- Partners across the entire value chain at Amgen so as to interact, learn from, and lead teams involved in Amgen processes across operations
- Successfully executes projects allowing for demonstrated technical feasibility for advanced informatic capabilities, as well as ultimately derive substantial business value for Amgen
- Provides strategic, technical, and people leadership with both internal and external stakeholders
Master's degree and 2 years of applied data science and/or data science functional leadership experience
Bachelor's degree and 4 years of applied data science and/or data science functional leadership experience
Associate's degree and 10 years of applied data science and/or data science functional leadership experience
High school diploma / GED and 12 years of applied data science and/or data science functional leadership experience
- 2 years of experience with variety of data analysis and modeling methods particularly in their application to biopharma manufacturing operations with demonstrated mastery in the application of natural language processing (NLP)
- Experience in the application of bag of words, word embedding, topic modeling and text similarity methodologies
- Proficient in SQL, Python, and R
- Strong statistics and programming background with proven experience delivering on data science and machine learning projects (experience with NLP is a big plus)
- Familiarity and background with biotechnology processes and regulatory requirements
- Familiarity with DevOps and good software practices (i.e. version control, continuous integration, test driven development)
- Strong communication skills and experience with client engagement: candidate's will have outstanding experience engaging directly with clients (scientific/biological experience is preferred) in developing data science/machine learning or other software solutions
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.