Lab Manager - IND
The Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases (IND) at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is seeking a scientist/manager with lab management experience to oversee operation of a large (approx. 26k square foot) lab (BSL2 and BSL3) in the Sandler Neurosciences Center building on the Mission Bay campus.
The Lab Manager responsibilities are mostly operational involving oversight of the lab’s facilities, resources, equipment and lab operations, including, but not limited to: renewal and modification of Biological User Authorizations (BUAs) for BSL 2 and 3 labs, updating the Biosafety Manual, interacting with EH&S/USDA/CDC, contract reviews, regulatory reviews, facilities-related requests, some lab supplies & equipment ordering, inventory management, lab personnel training follow-up, overall lab maintenance, and general lab safety and compliance. The position includes a supervisory role, with the successful candidate possessing excellent operations experience, communication skills and demonstrated team management success.
- Renewal, updates and modifications of the Biological User Authorizations (BUA), Chemical User Authorization (CUA) and Radioisotope User Authorization (RUA) for all the projects in the BSL-2 and BSL-3 laboratories.
- Communicate with USDA and CDC for permits related to the shipment of infectious biological materials.
- Organize and conduct inspections with CDC, USDA and EH&S
- Maintain/regularly update current Lab Biosafety Manual.
- Biosafety activities, including: safe laboratory practices, correct use of specialized equipment within the biosafety containment.
- Training includes preparing the annual refresher training, and ensuring all lab personnel are current with their required training. Training of new personnel including rotation students, visiting scientists.
- Control access based on training, to both BSL-2 and BSL-3 labs, through the WeID security system.
- Assist new faculty with the setup of their own labs within the existing BSL-2 area.
- Organize international shipments of infectious biological materials in compliance with Federal Shipping Regulations.
- Maintenance and annual certification of all the 62 Biosafety cabinets (BSC) in the BSL-2 and BSL-3 labs; maintenance and certification of the 2 large autoclaves used for decontamination purposes.
- Negotiate service contracts for large equipment.
- Purchase new equipment and oversees maintenance of the existing ones.
- Interact with the building engineers regarding proper maintenance of the 3rd floor laboratories in the Sandler Neuroscience Building.
- Communicate with Real Estate Services, regarding construction projects, permits.
- Responsible for general lab maintenance.
- Specialized BSL-3 lab maintenance and management.
- Supervise a team of several Lab Assistants who support the lab.
- Manage collaborative and productive use of lab by variety of users, lab personnel and visitors, including: Dept Executive staff, scientists/PI’s, postdocs/grad students, visiting VIPs/donors, lab support staff.
- Member of the UCSF High-Containment Laboratory Oversight Group.
The Lab Manager will also have other science and bench responsibilities, which might include:
- Manage a team of three to four Staff Research Associates responsible for the production of large quantities of recombinant proteins such as prion proteins, Tau, alpha synuclein, and 9 different recombinant antibodies. These proteins and antibodies are used in the basic research in the Prusiner lab, and in the early stages of the Drug Discovery program. The recombinant antibodies are of highest affinity and are used by scientists at IND as well as collaborators all over the world.
- Develop unique new monoclonal and polyclonal antibodies that are not commercially available.
- BS with at least 5 years of bio lab management and supervisory experience
- Strong communication skills (oral and written)
- Purchasing experience
- Demonstrated ability managing lab BUA’s (Biological User Authorization)
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate and collaborate with all lab stakeholders and users
- Demonstrated experience managing and resolving disagreements between lab users
- Practical knowledge of chemistry and biology
- Graduate degree with at least 3 years of bio lab management and supervisory experience
- BSL3 management experience
- Experience writing and supporting grants
- Vendor relations experience
- Cell culture or molecular biology background
- Experience/Knowledge in antibody production
- Experience with infectious materials
- Lab regulatory experience (USDA, CDC, etc.)
This is a full-time position with excellent benefits. Salary and rank are dependent upon credentials and experience. Interested applicants should submit resume/curriculum vitae, a cover letter, and contact information for three professional references.
In the “Search job opportunities that match your interests” box, search for “49095BR”
Click on Job Description and follow the instructions to submit your complete application.
The Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases (IND) at UCSF is pursuing a cutting-edge blend of basic science and clinical medicine to provide outstanding care to those suffering from neurodegenerative diseases. Founded in 1999, the IND is committed to creating therapeutics that will halt diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and dementia resulting from traumatic brain injuries. The IND is poised to make serious contributions to this struggle at the frontier of neuroscience and medicine. The mission of the Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases is to discover causes and develop cures for these illnesses with an innovative program of basic research and clinical medicine. The IND is directed by Nobel Laureate Stanley Prusiner, MD. See our website for more information: http://ind.ucsf.edu/
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.