Engineer, Process Development
Amgen is seeking a highly motivated Process Development Engineer. This position will in the Pivotal Drug Substance Department located in Thousand Oaks, CA.
A Process Development Engineer is responsible for designing processes and technologies to manufacture Amgen's synthetic API candidates. The Engineer will apply their skills to a variety of synthetic process development areas. Under limited supervision, the Engineer will be involved in the process development, high throughput experimentation, automation, reaction and particle engineering, unit operation assessment, and scale-up of synthetic active pharmaceutical ingredients in state of the art facilities.
- Demonstration of chemical engineering skills, scientific technical skills along with strong problem solving and multitasking skills are required.
- Use high throughput, automation and analytical technologies to aid process design and development.
- Familiarity with Design of Experiments (DoE) and statistical analysis.
- Use simulation software for synthetic process design and optimization.
- Execution of bench scale experiments applying good laboratory and documentation practices.
- Analyze and document the economic value of existing, proposed process solutions and new process concepts.
- Working knowledge of cGMPs.
- Participates in various departmental committees and initiatives
- Participate in team efforts directed at advancing development/technology programs within the department
Oral and Written Communication
- Writes technical reports that meet professional standards.
- Contributes data for peer-reviewed scientific papers.
- Develops good oral presentation skills.
- Contributes data for papers/presentations given at scientific meetings
*Other functions may be assigned.
Bachelor's degree and 2 years of engineering experience
Associate's degree and 6 years of engineering experience
High school diploma / GED and 8 years of engineering experience
- MS Chemical Engineering with 3 years relevant experience in the biopharmaceutical or pharmaceutical industry.
- BS Chemical Engineering with 7 years relevant experience in the biopharmaceutical or pharmaceutical industry.
- Experience with the techniques and unit operations associated with chemical engineering and application toward process development.
- Demonstrated understanding of chemical engineering first fundamentals and their application.
- Demonstrated communication and scientific writing skills.