Senior Scientist, Centralized Medicinal Chemistry
Conceive and execute organic and medicinal chemistry research and development that achieves project and area goals. Generate new scientific proposals and lead those efforts to advance SAR investigations. Investigate, identify, develop, and optimize new methods/ techniques. Act as a lead scientist in his/her area of expertise on one or more projects. Critically evaluate relevant scientific advances and integrate this knowledge into research programs. Core Job Responsibilities: Maintain a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting. Demonstrate the ability to resolve key project hurdles and assumptions by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise. Proactively seek out new information in the literature and incorporate this into individual project(s) as well as the overall program. Publish research in peer-reviewed journals and present work at scientific conferences. Effective writer and communicator of research or other regulatory materials. Position Accountability/Scope: Demonstrate a high degree of responsibility in maintaining scientific standards, and safe laboratory practices for self and reporting staff, if any. Participate in establishing project goals, defining short and long-term scientific strategies, and contribute to the generation of project-related documents and presentations. May supervise one or more direct reports and proactively engage in their development. Keep accurate and current records of research and/or project related activities according to AbbVie policies. Internal/External Contacts and Interactions: Use external information to gain competitive intelligence. Act as advocate to integrate this knowledge into the group's research efforts. Generate new research or development strategies to effectively address project and divisional goals/needs. Collaborate with functional and technical experts to facilitate scientific achievement. Publish project-related research in high-impact factor peer-reviewed journals, R&D reports, patent applications and/or regulatory documents/filings. Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures. Basic
- BS, MS, or PhD in Organic Chemistry or related field. Postdoctoral or pharmaceutical industry experience desirable.
- 10-12+(BS), 8-10+(MS), or 0-4+(Ph.D) years of experience
- Responsible for project science within one's area of expertise on one or more project teams.
- Demonstrate the ability to resolve key project hurdles and assumptions by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise.
- Effective writer and communicator of research or other regulatory materials.
- Proactively seek out new information in the literature and incorporate this into individual project(s) as well as the overall program.
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation an manages innovation to reality.