Counsel, Clinical R&D Legal
The Clinical R&D Legal Counsel role is responsible for providing strategic legal counsel and contracting support for AbbVie's global clinical research-based pharmaceutical business.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Provide legal counsel to clients, including senior management, in AbbVie's R&D organization on issues impacting clinical research and development, such as informed consent, CRO arrangements, patient recruitment activities, contract arrangements with investigators and clinical research vendors, and other collaborative research relationships
- Contribute to strategic planning with clients and colleagues to optimize the implementation of AbbVie clinical studies and other medical research activities.
- Identify and analyze complex legal issues related to AbbVie's clinical study programs, develop solutions and implement resolutions.
- Negotiate, draft, and review an extensive range of clinical study-related agreements.
- Supervise paralegal staff and contractor attorneys responsible for clinical study documentation.
- Develop knowledge of AbbVie's business and supported client areas. Keep abreast of changes in laws that affect client areas.
- Resolve legal issues using negotiation skills and legal expertise. Advise legal department managers of project developments in a timely manner. Execute core job responsibilities in a timely manner
- Help select and direct the work of outside counsel, define project objectives, manage project and budget.
Coordinate with AbbVie legal specialists on patent law, privacy law, and regulatory matters.
- Position supports AbbVie's entire global R&D organization and will interact with senior leaders in the Legal Division and R&D business, including Global Medical Affairs. The position reports to Division Counsel, Clinical R&D Legal.
- JD/Law degree and appropriate license to practice law in Illinois or ability to obtain Illinois license or in-house counsel license in Illinois.
- Strong understanding of health care/research laws and regulations and industry guidance.
- Experience drafting and negotiating clinical research related agreements.
- Minimum of 5+ years of legal practice. In-house legal experience strongly preferred, working in pharmaceutical industry, CRO, or health care institution involved in clinical trials.