Software Engineer II - Web Developer
The Scientific Informatics group at ABC supports R&D activities at the Abbvie Bioresearch Center which focuses on immunology and biologics therapeutic development. We are looking for an exceptional candidate for a software engineering position, focusing on web development. This position offers the opportunity to work with a cross functional team of talented informatics scientists and software engineers. Our team is tasked with shaping and executing scientific data/knowledge acquisition, management and analysis in the support of discovery and development programs. The candidate will collaborate with world class research scientists to identify informatics needs and challenges for which they will design, build and maintain tools and analytical workflows to streamline and strengthen the therapeutic discovery pipeline. We are seeking a highly skilled, full stack and/or front end web developer that would like to contribute to our mission. The ideal candidate will be intellectually curious as well as highly collaborative and engaged. Exposure to a relevant scientific computing domain such as bioinformatics or cheminformatics is helpful, but not required. A successful candidate will be someone who seeks to accelerate drug development using innovative informatics approaches and gains ultimate satisfaction in making a difference in patients' lives.
Key Responsibilities Includes:
Key Responsibilities Includes:
- Independently design and develop data, software, or technology solutions to answer scientific or business questions.
- Demonstrate proficiency across a range of technologies related to programming languages, data integration, data warehousing, and data visualization and analysis.
- Collaborate with local informatics and research scientists to identify and understand their analytical and informatics needs and translate these into solutions.
- Implement informatics solutions in the biological science, drug discovery and bioinformatics domains in a variety of programming languages and environments with a focus on delivering rich user experiences and highly interactive and sophisticated web front ends.
- Develop solutions in an iterative and interactive development model while working directly with end users.
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with colleagues in varied scientific and technical roles.
- Be equally comfortable working independently and within a team depending on project needs.
- Stay abreast of developing web development frame works, visualizations, development tools, methods and libraries.
- Present projects and systems in front of both scientific and technical audiences.
- A BS or MS in computer science, software engineering or related STEM discipline with 5+ years professional programming experience.
- Demonstrated experience in modern front end web development methodologies and frameworks including React, Angular and Vue for the design and implementation of sophisticated web user interfaces delivering rich user experiences. Integration of such frameworks with visualization libraries such as D3.js is highly preferred.
- Full stack experience with dynamic languages (Python/Ruby) and SQL/NoSQL databases is preferred.
- A background or experience in the biological sciences, biomedical engineering or bioinformatics (education or bio-pharmaceutical experience) is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to independently plan, design, execute and maintain informatics solutions.
- Ability to multitask and work within timelines.
- Strong writing skills and excellent verbal communication skills.