Senior Scientist II, Computational Biology
The Foundational Neuroscience Center (FNC) at AbbVie Cambridge Research Center -Massachusetts is seeking to expand its bioinformatics expertise to develop state-of-the-art genomics technologies and computational approaches to enable neuroscience research. The FNC is a new research group within AbbVie Neuroscience and its role is to provide deep biological expertise and cutting-edge science to elucidate disease mechanisms and discover potential new drug targets.
We are looking for an exceptional candidate for a computational biologist position. The successful candidate will be responsible for performing computational and statistical analysis to mine large-scale genetics, transcriptomics, functional genomics, and human biology data for target identification, target validation, model system characterization, and biomarker discovery for neurodegenerative diseases.
The ideal candidate should have demonstrated expertise in analyzing large-scale and multidimensional omics datasets, and the ability to work closely with biologists and project teams to drive experimental design and data interpretation. Prior research experience in neurodegenerative diseases and neuroscience related research areas is a plus.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Integrate internal and external large-scale genetics and genomics datasets to inform target identification and validation
- Develop and customize data processing, QC, and analysis pipelines for in-house NGS and genomics studies
- Work closely with cross-disciplinary project teams to design single-cell transcriptomics and functional genomics experiments and analyze data
- Develop and apply state-of-the-art computational and statistical methods to deliver testable hypotheses and biological insights
- Contribute to consortium-based genomics and genetics projects
- BS, MS, or PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Biological Sciences, or relevant natural sciences required,
- 12-14+ (BS), 10-12+ (MS), or 4-6+ (PhD) years relevant experience applying quantitative approaches to solving biological problems, ideally in a pharmaceutical, biotech or comparable context.
Technical Skill Qualifications:
- Proficient in programming, scripting, and statistical analysis packages (e.g. R, Matlab) required
- Experience in designing and implementing omics studies
- Experience in analyzing large-scale NGS and other omics datasets
- Strong background in biology. Knowledge of neuroscience biology and neurodegenerative diseases is highly preferred
- Experience with single cell transcriptomics and/or CRISPR screens is preferred
- Familiarity with neurodisease related cohort datasets such as AMP-AD, ADNI, PPMI and statistical methods for longitudinal models is preferred
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with experimental biologists and project teams
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled