Senior Scientist I, Immunology Discovery
AbbVie Immunology is expanding its early discovery at Cambridge, Massachusetts. This new immunology research group at AbbVie Cambridge Research Center (ACRC) will focus on identifying new targets for the treatment of autoimmune and chronic inflammatory diseases through computational analysis of human disease tissue derived datasets, and validating targets using in vitro and in vivo experimental approaches. We are seeking a highly skilled and dedicated individual with immunology laboratory experience and bioinformatics expertise to partner with a functional genomics group and with in vivo pharmacologists to develop novel platforms for target selection and validation. This position requires passion, attention to detail, hands-on experience and teamwork.
- Identification, prioritization and validation of novel targets for the treatment of inflammatory conditions.
- Thoroughly review literature data, ability to capture essence of target biology and conceptualize target therapeutic hypothesis and develop strategic plan for target validation.
- Design, develop, evaluate and implement well-controlled in vitro and in vivo studies to interrogate target biology and generate proof of concept data supporting target Go/No Go decisions.
- Planning and coordination of experiments with team members and facility operations.
- Lead collaboration with internal and external partners to execute the work plan
- Analysis and presentation of data, providing scientific interpretations and recommendations in lab meetings and project team meetings.
- Maintaining accurate and well-organized records and laboratory notebooks.
- Supporting development of protocols, study reports and data presentations.
- BS, MS or PhD in Immunology/Biological Sciences or in a related discipline with 10+ (BS), 8+ (MS) or 0+ (PhD) hands-on experience working in a laboratory.
- Expertise in the study of inflammatory diseases such IBD and/or other rheumatic disorders. Experience in developing animal models for autoimmune diseases, including infection based colitis models, is a plus.
- Proficient in laboratory skills such as animal models, tissue handling for molecular and cellular phenotyping, multicolor flow cytometry and cell sorting, and gene and protein cellular and tissue expression.
- Independent design, development and evaluation of well-controlled in vitro assays to address target biology and drug biology
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Must be a quick-learner and be a team-player.
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the team to enable high performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.