Senior Scientist II/III - Translational Immunology
The Translational Immunology Department is committed to elucidating the mechanisms of our therapeutics as they transition into human clinical studies and equipping them with biomarkers to aid in their progression through the pipeline.
The Senior Scientist II/III will be responsible for developing translational research strategies to support the advancement of multiple therapeutics for the treatment of immunologically mediated diseases, including Rheumatoid Arthritis, Crohn's Disease, Psoriasis, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, and Spondylosing Arthritis.
The successful candidate:
- Will be responsible for identifying and developing biomarker assays that can be deployed in early clinical trials to measure pharmacodynamics and disease related changes.
- Will have a strong expertise in immunology, as well as a demonstrated understanding of clinical biomarker assay feasibility and development with varied techniques, including flow cytometry, ELISA, cell based assays, and genomic approaches.
- Will be part of the leadership team of the department that will include building collaborations across functional areas with key partners, building and executing collaborations with external partners, and representing program related work to senior management audiences.
- Must have Excellent written and verbal communication is required.
- Will partner with clinical colleagues to implement these assays in clinical trials and critically evaluate the biomarker data to drive decision making in development programs and partner with asset development teams to generate experimental data to address biological questions for our development candidates.
- In addition, the successful candidate may contribute to academic collaborations that will advance our understanding of the mechanism of diseases of interest and their relationship to our assets.
- Develop biomarker strategies for projects emerging from the Discovery pipeline.
- Work effectively with a team in a matrix environment including Discovery, Clinical, Drug Metabolism & Pharmacokinetics, and Pharmacogenomics to build a shared work plan and ensure alignment between stakeholders.
- Effectively communicate in writing and orally the biomarker strategy and data packages to varied audiences.
- Demonstrate the ability to resolve key project hurdles and assumptions by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise.
- Publish research in peer-reviewed journals and present work at scientific conferences.
- Proactively seek out new information in the literature and incorporate this into individual project(s) as well as the overall program opportunities to pursue project relevant leads that are in line with the group's strategy.
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the lab.
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding code of conduct, safety, appropriate handling of materials, controlled drug and radioactive compounds.
- May mentor/supervise a team of one or more and guide and evaluate the performance of those individuals; is accountable for the effective performance of the team/individuals.
Position will be hired based on level of experience.
- Master's Degree and typically 10+ years of experience (or) a PhD and typically 4+ years of experience required
- Effective writer and communicator of research or other regulatory materials.
- Possess demonstrated expertise in immunology related to human autoimmune and inflammatory diseases. Individuals with expertise in inflammatory bowel disease are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Master's Degree and typically 12+ years of experience (or) a PhD and typically 6+ years of experience preferred
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Learns, fast, grasps the 'essence' and can change the course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.