Unity Biotechnology is a biopharmaceutical company based in the San Francisco bay area that is discovering and developing novel medicines to treat chronic diseases associated with aging. Our mission is to extend human healthspan: the period in one’s life unburdened by the disease of aging.
Unity Biotechnology is seeking to hire a Lab Manager. The Lab Manager is responsible for lab organization and laboratory support services to maximize the technical staffs’ productivity. A qualified candidate is energetic, extremely organized, and takes a proactive stance towards solving problems. This position requires adaptability and an ability to perform at a high level in a fast-paced environment.
* Bachelor’s degree in the biological sciences and a minimum of 4 years of relevant experience in the biopharmaceutical industry or equivalent experience.
* Demonstrated knowledge of regulations of biohazard facilities and biological and chemical material handling
* Must have demonstrated effectiveness as a hands-on, results-oriented person who is willing and able to work on a wide range of activities.
* Strong organizational skills
* Strong management and leadership skills; comfort with leadership & accountability.
* Excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills; must be able to work collaboratively across functions, levels and departments toward shared objectives
* Ability to handle multiple tasks
* Ability to work cooperatively and strategically in a team environment with all levels of professional, technical and administrative staff and to integrate resources on a timely and organized basis.
* Take initiative to identify issues or gaps and resolve them
* Independent and self-motivated, able to work independently and efficiently
* Conduct and/or manage multiple tasks with efficiency, effectiveness and attention to detail
* Must be able to lift 50 lbs
* A strong desire to be part of a growing company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious diseases
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Oversee and lead the day to day operation of the labs, ensuring operational efficiency, organization and safety of the employees
* Ensure compliance with laboratory facilities standard operating procedures and best practices
* Interface with consultants and other internal staff to implement safety requirements, organize and maintain EH&S protocols, records, reports and compliance, prepare for inspections, ensure that employees receive proper safety training and maintain training records.
* Safely handle chemical and biological waste management, including ordering waste pickups, maintaining waste logs, and filing necessary paperwork
* Coordinate repair, maintenance, and calibration of laboratory equipment
* Monitors and maintains an adequate inventory of research lab glassware, materials, stock solutions, and laboratory equipment.
* Purchasing stock supplies, reagents, and miscellaneous items for the lab
* Coordinates daily consumable supply stocking and ordering.
* Oversight of an inventory management system for inventory tracking and replenishment.
* Organize and participate in product and software evaluations and tutorials
* Negotiating contracts and interacting with vendor representatives
* Responsible for development of tracking procedures, establishment and maintenance of service contracts and warranties with vendors
* Write and implement laboratory policies and procedures; coordinates training for scientific staff in the general use and function of designated equipment
* Designate laboratory space and assets to meet the overall needs of the research organization
* Working with accounting to assign invoices to the appropriate department
* Preparing cost-saving analyses and other documents to assist in budgetary discussions
* Point of contact for laboratory emergencies
* Other tasks as assigned