Bioinformatics and Computational Biology Staff Scientist
Look for more than answers.
At Quest, we are on a continuous journey of discovery and development. It’s this attitude that has made us an industry leader and the #1 Diagnostic Lab in the US. For those joining us, we offer exciting and fast moving career opportunities where you can affect change at a rate unheard of in many organizations of our size and scope. While we invest in and develop technology to drive our innovations, our ongoing success relies on our people.
As Bioinformatics and Computational Biology Staff Scientist you will work for the world leader in the industry, with a career where you will have the opportunity to collaborate and affect change while expanding your leadership skills and technical knowledge. You can make a real impact in a market that is growing and developing.
Bioinformatics and Computational Biology Staff Scientist – the role
The Bioinformatics and Computational Biology Staff Scientist will evaluate, develop, validate, and implement new next-generation sequencing (NGS) data analysis technology and technology enhancements, including bioinformatics analysis pipelines, testing/validation scripts, and other tools related to genetic diagnostics. This professional will consult on process and technology improvements within R&D, Operations, Quality Assurance and IT departments, and will participate in resolution of support requests where computational biology tools are used.
In addition, the Bioinformatics and Computational Biology Staff Scientist:
- Regularly report progress and prepare data analyses for internal review.
- Exercises technical leadership in devising approaches to meet project objectives.
- Prepares reports and analysis of results as related to product/process development and improvement.
- Guides and mentors other scientists and project team members to accomplish project objective.
- Devises analytical methods to accomplish project objectives.
- Innovates new techniques and devises novel strategies to better accomplish project goals.
- Reports status of assigned projects through the preparation of reports and documentation that summarize results.
- Interprets results of analyses and recommends alternative analyses.
- Provides leadership in technical decisions affecting product development issues. Identifies problems, investigates alternatives and recommends possible courses of action.
- Works with team members and other Business Unit personnel (R&D, Operations, product transfer, project management, and quality departments) to meet department and project objectives.
- Prepares and/or contributes to articles for publication. Presents information at project meetings, scientific meetings or to customers. Attends technical conferences or seminars.
- Serves as a subject matter expert in technologies that may assist in the completion of an assignment or lead to new products, processes or procedures.
To qualify, the ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Two or more years of relevant experience in IT, life sciences, computational biology/bioinformatics, engineering, or computer science required.
- Hands-on experience analyzing NGS data strongly preferred.
- Two or more years of software development and/or database development experience in a SQL, Linux, and/or HPC environment strongly preferred.
- Demonstrable proficiency with Python, Perl, and/or shell scripting.
- Knowledge of SQL database development strongly preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Bachelor’s degree required, MS or PhD preferred. Advanced science, engineering, or computer science degree desired.
- Project management and/or support experience a plus.
Join us for competitive benefits and development opportunities in a progressive and supportive environment. Help us improve our service, and the experiences of our patients and colleagues. Work with us and together we can be better.
Your Quest career. Seek it out.
All requirements are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Quest Diagnostics is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Disabled / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity.