Inspiring advances in bioprocessing, Repligen is a leader in bioprocess filtration, pre-packed chromatography and Protein A ligands development. Propelled by a culture of innovation and collaboration, and with a focus on cost and process efficiencies, our people and our technologies help meet critical bioproduction demands worldwide.
Named one of the fastest growing biotech companies in the USA, Repligen is headquartered in Waltham, Massachusetts with major manufacturing sites in Massachusetts, California, Sweden, and Germany. Repligen offers the broadest range of hollow fiber and flat sheet filtration technologies for cell culture and purification, featuring XCell® ATF Systems, Spectrum® KrosFlo TFF Filters and Systems and TangenX® Flat Sheet TFF Cassettes.
As an expert in single use tangential flow filtration, Repligen offers TangenX® Flat Sheet TFF Cassettes with unparalleled flexibility and scalability from process development to production scale. Since 2008, SIUS tangential flow filtration products have been universally accepted as the first purpose built single use tangential flow filtration cassette ideally suited for downstream purification operations.
The individual will work on the development of novel high performance ultrafiltration and microfiltration membranes – with an ultimate goal of impacting bioprocessing biological molecules. The work will also include improvements in membrane formation processes. The work will require a good understanding of polymers and membrane formation processes – and effective experimental strategies. We are seeking a Membrane Scientist within the research and development group focusing on the challenge of developing ultrafiltration membranes. This role reports directly to the Director of R&D and will work closely with the development group at Repligen’s tangential flow filtration facility located in Massachusetts. The successful candidate shall be a proven professional, responsible for technical and operational aspects of membrane research at Repligen’s Shrewsbury location (relocating later this year to Marlborough). This includes developing new membrane, improving processes and supporting existing operations while working effectively, cross-functionally, in a rapidly changing environment.
The Membrane Scientist works closely with all parts of the organization and is responsible for developing, characterizing, and supporting the production of novel polymer based membranes for use in the life sciences industries.
- Work closely with a core team to research, develop, and expand the membrane product portfolio to satisfy the emerging market needs
- Evaluate membrane formulation and process improvements; assess alternative technologies
- Provide technical assistance to the membrane manufacturing team and support continuous improvement activities
- Provide validation support by applying manufacturing quality tools including: FMEA, DFMEA, PFMEA, IQ, OQ, PQ, control plans, process verification/validation
- Design, execution, and data interpretation of experiments as well as providing guidance to team members.
- Prepare/review technical documents including process development reports, tech transfer documents, process characterization reports, and standard operating procedures.
- Project planning for internal, as well as externally driven research of membrane separation technologies
- Certain amount of hands-on operation of equipment, and training of team members on new processes is required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Polymer Chemistry and at least 5 years’ of relevant work experience OR Advanced Degree with 3 years’ of work experience
- Preferred professional experience in at least one of the following: polymers, tangential flow filtration, or membrane development
- Experience with extractables and leachables studies as well as interpreting results from GCMS, HPLC, TOC, NVR, and FTIR testing
- Demonstrated strengths in time management with demands from multiple directions, managing progress on multiple projects simultaneously while prioritizing under pressure, staying organized and maintaining accountability to self-established deadlines.
- Able to learn quickly, to take initiative and to work independently with limited direction, while remaining a team player through collaboration, seeking expertise, and taking direction.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including publication and presentation, fostering effective cross-functional relations and translating difficult concepts clearly for diverse audiences.
- Skilled at strategy, problem solving, troubleshooting, and researching information quickly and efficiently toward conclusion and action.
- Strong sense of respect, integrity, and personal investment in professional contribution.
Repligen is an Equal Opportunity Employer