Library Data Application Specialist
Variant libraries are complex and diverse sets of genes that contain different combinations of sequences, allowing screening of many gene variants simultaneously. They are used for applications such as antibody engineering (generating an antibody with properties such as highest target binding affinity, most stable structural properties, or humanization of antibodies generated in other species), enzyme optimization (improving or altering enzymatic activity), protein engineering in general (modifying binding affinities, stability, or other properties of a protein), or to improve protein expression.
The variant Library Data Applications Specialist is a unique opportunity for a qualified molecular biologist with a bioinformatics and/or software background to deliver best-in-class data analysis support and molecular biology for next-generation variant library products. This role will interface with customers, cross-functional departments at Twist and will report to the Director of the Library Business.
In this position you will play a key role in expanding Twist Bioscience’s growing variant library business. You will work as a bridge between customers and internal development teams to resolve issues related to the design of variant library products, and contribute to the development of optimum fabrication strategies and the interpretation of results, including the development of software-based tools to support internal and external protein bioengineering and antibody discovery work.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Providing support to sales, field support, the customer service team, and business management by acting as the informatics based bridge to internal library fabrication and development
- Collecting requirements from the biologists in the R&D team and business management for programing needs with emphasis on variant library fabrication
- Writing custom scripts for library design and data analysis with emphasis on NGS datasets
- Packaging custom scripts into pipeline solutions
- Interfacing with the Bioinformatics group to convert the R&D pipeline to a production-scale pipeline, ensuring compliance with company-wide data and database structures and policies
- Devising and developing design, analysis strategies, and tools to resolve issues related to design, fabrication, and use of variant libraries and interpretation of internal and external results. Including:
- Working closely with Project Management to deliver customer data in a timely and accurate manner
- Maintaining databases/data systems to make the data tracking process more efficient
- Coordinating effectively with the lab, IT, software developers, data analysts and project manager
- Creating data-rich training materials, protocols, and applications notes on variant libraries
- Understanding of molecular biology and enthusiastic eagerness to combine DNA data analysis and variant library fabrication
- Masters degree in Computer Science, Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, or related field
- Proficiency in python, ruby, R, perl, or other high-level scripting language (Python highly preferred)
- Familiarity with LINUX-based operating systems and shell scripting
- Experience designing and developing research pipeline solutions to handle large dataset
- Experience with UI development for non-programming users
- Familiarity with source control (git, subversion)
- Experience in next generation sequencing data handling and analysis is a plus
About Twist Bioscience
At Twist Bioscience, our expertise is accelerating science and innovation by leveraging the power of scale. We have developed a proprietary semiconductor-based synthetic DNA manufacturing process featuring a high throughput silicon platform capable of producing synthetic biology tools, including genes, oligonucleotide pools and variant libraries. Our platform overcomes the current inefficiencies of synthetic DNA production, and enables cost-effective, rapid, high-quality and high throughput synthetic gene production, which in turn, expedites the design, build, test cycle to enable personalized medicines, pharmaceuticals, sustainable chemical production, improved agriculture production, diagnostics, biodetection and data storage. For more information, please visit www.twistbioscience.com. Twist Bioscience is on Twitter. Sign up to follow our Twitter feed @TwistBioscience at https://twitter.com/TwistBioscience.
Twist Bioscience Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Twist Bioscience Corporation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law.