Skin Microbiome Expert
L’Oréal, the world leader in cosmetics, is synonymous with beauty, innovation and scientific excellence in more than 130 countries. As the leader in the beauty industry, our success is a direct result of our unequaled employees. L’Oréal is always looking for talented and ambitious minds to help build our beauty into something even better. Leadership also means innovation and quality. We offer the most technologically advanced products to our customers and a portfolio of brands in every product category. L’Oréal USA fully encompasses all aspects of beauty for everyone, everywhere.
Who We are:
The California Research Center (CRC) combines a startup-like, fast-paced environment with large organization resources to collaborate with top universities and startups in California.
The CRC was created to nurture innovation, cutting edge technologies and research. The projects range from flexible electronics, non-linear optical tools for in vivo imaging, tissue engineering, biophysics, synthetic biology, biochemistry, clinical biology, and new functionalized cell models.
The mission is to grow and build scientific programs, publish in scientific journals, and foster collaborations with key academic laboratories and startups. The center is located in San Francisco, CA
What we’ll do together:
As a Skin Microbiome Expert, you will introduce new innovative technologies from the academic, start up and biotech environment to be developed in partnership within L’Oréal Research & Innovation for cosmetic benefits. Prioritize and champion technologies based on strong alignment with internal prioritized needs and technical value proposition. Present to internal stakeholders to share proposals, results and recommendations in this high visibility role!
What your day will look like:
- Identify and highlight new scientific trends in microbiome research and biotech such as synthetic biology, natural extracts coming from different channels: academic, startup, incubators, CROs
- Translate those opportunities to develop new projects leveraging internal/external capabilities for applications in skin and hair
- Manage portfolio of research and co-development programs with external partners
- Stay current on novel biotech ideas/venture by reading the scientific literature, visiting incubators and attending conferences
- Work closely with clinical team to accelerate evaluation and adoption on external proposition
- Work closely with technical leaders in CRC, US R&I and Advanced Research group internationally to ensure positioning and smooth internalization of new technologies
- Work closely with safety, patent, regulatory departments to ensure feasibility of technologies
- Supports efforts to develop scientific communication (abstracts, presentation, manuscript for publication etc.)
What you’ll need:
- Highly motivated scientist with PhD in microbiology, biology, biochemistry or bioengineering
- 3-12 years of experience in the field (level will be determined based on experience)
- Experience in synthetic biology, metabolic engineering or natural extracts a plus
- Excellent organization, communication, interpersonal, and computer skills
- Enjoy working in a dynamic, challenging, and diverse environment; collaborate well in matrix international team
- Independent critical thinker, problem solver
- Interest in cosmetic/personal care
- Foreign language skills in French a plus.
- Willing to travel domestically and internationally (~20%)
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email USApplicationAccommodation@support.lorealusa.com. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.