Sr. Associate Scientist, CRISPR / Target Validation
Other Locations:US- CA- San Diego
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries, and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
The molecular mechanism team in the Protein Homeostasis Thematic Center of Excellence (PH TCoE) is seeking a full-time senior associate scientist to assist the characterization of the mechanism of action of cereblon modulating agents for the treatment of various cancers. The successful candidate will work collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary environment and utilize state-of-art Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) tools and routine molecular and genetic approaches to delineate the molecular, genetic and epigenetic signatures of cancer cell specific addiction programs, which could be manipulated by cereblon modulating agents to achieve antitumor activity.The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work closely with discovery project teams and scientists across the PH TCoE functional areas and to present his or her work at project team meetings and to the senior research leadership.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Optimize and perform focused CRISPR-Cas9 screen
- Genetic manipulation in cancer cell lines using CRISPR-Cas9 technology
- Generate stable cancer cell lines via retroviral or lentiviral transduction
- Conduct flow cytometry-based assays
- Conduct routine cell based assays to characterize drug candidates
- Plan and execute scientific experiments related to one or more programs independently
- Design research protocols in collaboration with the principal investigator
- Assist senior researchers in executing, conducting analysis and reporting results
- Familiarity with literature and internal best practices to identify opportunities to improve productivity and quality of work
- Interprets data, troubleshoots and recommends corrective actions for routine problems
- Maintain an accurate, comprehensible, current laboratory journal
- Train others on new skills and procedures
- Communicate results in written and oral presentations
- Write protocols, procedures and technical reports
Bachelor's degree in a scientific discipline with at least 8 years work experience or Master's degree with at least 6 years relevant work experience.
- Extensive wet-lab experience with molecular and cell biology including molecular cloning, western blot, immunoprecipitation, flow cytometry, realtime-qPCR, ELISA, lentivirus preparation and infection, etc.
- Extensive experience with genome-wide or focused CRISPR screen
- Experience with RNAseq, ChIPseq and other NGS methods is a big plus
- Experience with analysis of NGS datasets is preferred but not required
- Knowledge of cancer biology
- Highly motivated and strong team player with a high degree of independence
- Innovative and critical thinking
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
• Expert knowledge & demonstration of technical field.
• Generally independent in carrying out laboratory operations.
• Solid understanding of relevant scientific principles.
• Viewed as technically experienced and valued resource within department.
• Able to identify scientific and technical problems and potential solutions.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Execute experiments independently.
• Interpret and discuss data.
• Trouble shoot.
• Familiar with literature.
• Role models for other scientists.
• Communicate via meetings and reports.
• Responsible for the completion of assignments that have an impact on functional goals.
• Able to coordinate CRO services.
• Works independently.
•Viewed as an experienced resource within their department.
• Provides input into experimental designs.
Creativity and Problem Solving:
• Improves efficiency and productivity within group or project.
• Understands departmental goals and development processes.
• Able to more fully interpret results and situations independently and articulate recommendations for resolution with strong scientific arguments.
• Recognizes risks and develops contingency plans.
BIO-USCelgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.