Scientist II, 3D Organoid / Cancer Biology
Other Locations:US- CA- San Diego
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries, and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
Celgene is seeking a highly motivated research scientist to join its Cell and Molecular Biology group. The successful candidate will develop in vitro and in vivo cancer models for various solid tumor indications. She/he will also contribute to different drug programs by performing cell-based assays for efficacy studies.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop xenograft and 3D organoid models for various solid tumors (pancreatic, colorectal, brain and/or lung cancers) from patient samples.
- Molecular characterization of patient tumor, xenograft and organoid models at bulk and single cell level.
- Perform cell-based assays on organoids to support small molecule drug programs.
- Ph.D. with at least 4 years of work experience, preferred; Master's degree with at least 10 years work experience; or, Bachelor's degree in a scientific discipline with at least 12 years work experience.
- Strong scientific knowledge and research experience in cancer biology of solid tumors (pancreatic, colorectal and/or lung cancer) is required.
- Must have extensive hands-on experience in xenograft creation in animal model, organoid development in 3D culture system and cell-based assays using cancer in vitro models. Ex vivo cell cultures and/or tissue slices is a plus.
- Candidates with industry experience are preferred.
- Hands-on experience of flow cytometry; sample analysis and cell sorting.
- Experience with in vitro efficacy studies using small molecules.
- Excellent experimental design, troubleshooting, and data analysis skills.
- Demonstrate strong analytical skills.
- Ability to work well as an individual and in a team environment.
- Strong verbal and writing communication skills.
- Microsoft Office, Prism; bioinformatics analysis skill is a plus.
- Able to design complex experiments with scientific rationale.
- Able to critically analyze and interpret data.
- Learning the drug development process.
- Draw appropriate conclusions.
- Possess in-depth knowledge in area.
- Understands fundamental scientific problems and can apply knowledge to research and development projects and problems in a positive manner.
- Developing skills in critical interpretation of scientific data and problem solving and reporting of scientific data.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Contributes individually as well as on cross functional teams.
- Responsible for more complex assignments and for more than 1 project.
- Able to evaluate CRO's.
- Well versed in fundamentals of functional area.
- Understands the context, impact and timely communication of data.
- Works as an individual contributor.
- Viewed as a knowledgeable resource within the department.
- Supervising/mentor role in function.
Creativity and Problem Solving:
- Critically assess project(s) and formulates ideas.
- Implement solutions independently.
- Scope of problem solving is generally within the departmental function.
- Recommend and formulate protocols and experimental plans.
Teamwork and Influence:
- Communicates with cross functional team.
- Routinely contributes to the achievement of workgroup/team goals.
- Represents workgroup/team or department on multi-disciplinary or cross functional teams.
- Beginning to have a direct impact on departmental performance.
- Impact is achieved primarily by contributing to team efforts.
BIO-USCelgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.