Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
We are currently looking for a talented and organized team player to join our fast-paced startup as a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer to design, develop, and improve instrumentation for DNA sequencing products. The individual must have a strong background in mechanical design, engineering, and product development, with a proven track record of delivering successful scientific instrumentation products. The ideal candidate will be experienced in all aspects of the product lifecycle, concept through commercialization. This role requires excellent communication skills to work effectively in a multidisciplinary cross-functional setting. If this opportunity sounds exciting, and you have the desire to redefine the current paradigm of DNA sequencing, please apply.
- Designs and develops DNA sequencers and sample preparation instruments, test fixtures, tooling, and packaging
- Drives/owns the development of designs through all phases of the product development lifecycle, including, detailed mechanical design, prototyping, verification, and transfer to manufacturing
- Is hands’-on in proof-of-concept demonstration, process development, first article inspection, prototype building, characterization, and design verification
- Uses creativity and collaboration with other engineers to generate simple, easy to use, low cost, manufacturable, and reliable solutions to address complex requirements
- Uses sound judgment, creativity, and experience using disciplined approaches to assess and mitigate risks while meeting ambitious timelines
- Conducts, documents, and communicates appropriate engineering and theoretical analysis to support design choices and experimental hypotheses
- Writes clear, effective text-based and technical documentation to communicate results, including requirements, block diagrams, specifications, cost analysis, engineering analysis, drawings, fluidic schematics, BOMs, test cases/reports, presentations, and assembly instructions
- Works with a cross-functional team of hardware, systems, and software engineers and biologists
- Provides technical leadership in project planning and may perform project management duties
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering (major in Mechanical Design preferred)
- 5-7+ years of solid experience in mechanical engineering and design of life science instrumentation products, DNA sequencers or similar products preferred
- Fully proficient in modeling designs and detailing drawings with SolidWorks and appropriately using drawing standards (including GD&T)
- Experience developing subsystems typical in DNA sequencers, such as microfluidics, pneumatics, temperature control, actuating mechanisms, cabling, PCBA packaging, custom plastic and metal parts, structures, and enclosures
- Knowledge of fabrication processes, tolerances, and typical applications, including machining, sheet metal, and injection molding. Knowledge of additional processes is preferred
- Knowledge of manufacturing and prototyping processes
- Knowledge of DFx: Design for Assembly, Manufacturability, Serviceability, Low Cost, and Reliability
- Knowledge of risk management, including FMEA, to select concepts, minimize iterations, and maximize product quality.
- Innovative, driven, results-oriented, and methodical, with a record of achievement commensurate with previous experience
- Ability to collaborate within a multidisciplinary organization, navigate in a fast-paced environment, easily adjust to evolving requirements, and meet tight schedules
- Writing effective and clear documentation for all phases of development
- Experience developing instrument processes in concert with the hardware design is preferred
- Experience in modeling and analysis of mechanical, thermal, and fluidic systems is preferred
- Knowledge of quality control, management, and assurance systems is preferred
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive compensation and stock options
- Anthem Blue Cross PPO and Kaiser Medical (including for dependents)
- Excellent Dental and Vision through Guardian
- Fully sponsored Life, Short and Long-term Disability insurance
- FSA, 401(k) retirement plan
- Stocked kitchen and beverages, daily catered gourmet lunches
- Weekly Fancy High Tea and Happy Hours
- Free complex onsite gym membership
- Learning and growth opportunities
At GenapSys, we are developing a DNA-sequencing technology that will revolutionize the world of healthcare. Our system will enable fast, accurate, and ultra-low cost genetic tests in order to better understand (and ultimately treat) genetic diseases such as Cancer, Parkinson’s, Diabetes, and Alzheimer's, just to name a few. GenapSys was founded by Dr. Hesaam Esfandyarpour. The company was incorporated in early 2010 and is funded by leading firms in both venture and institutional capital. We have built an incredible team of scientists, engineers, and business professionals – join our team and be part of the adventure!
GenapSys, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Just a Note
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Genapsys does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any Genapsys employee. Genapsys will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered the property of Genapsys.