Research Associate - Protein Purification
NGM Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. is a private biotech company dedicated to discovering and developing the next generation of medicines for the treatment of serious diseases. Our experienced scientific team has joined forces with an impressive group of industry professionals, Nobel Laureates and other distinguished researchers to form a company where innovation and cutting-edge science has provided the foundation for a robust drug discovery engine. To date, NGM Bio has generated a pipeline of six drug candidates in various stages of development, including NGM282 that recently demonstrated proof-of-concept in a Phase 2 study in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). We have many more in preclinical development. In 2015, we entered into a broad, strategic collaboration with Merck that will provide us with the resources and flexibility to pursue our ambitious R&D goals and further extend our pipeline of novel drug candidates.
We are looking for a Research Associate to join our drug discovery team. The primary responsibilities will be to purify and characterize biologic molecules to support novel drug discovery. Proteins will be purified at scales ranging from high-throughput robotic miniaturized purifications to gram quantity processes to support IND-enabling in vivo studies. Additionally the new team member will have opportunities (be expected) to learn cell culture methods to express proteins and extensive bioanalytical techniques.
The ideal candidate will be somebody who wants to contribute to a drug discovery team. They will not be satisfied by simply doing their part. Instead, they will interact daily with their colleagues who provide them research materials and with others to whom they deliver purified proteins to conduct experiments. The process is collaborative and affords a great opportunity to learn many facets of drug discovery. In order to succeed, they will also be flexible, willing to help others, friendly, attentive for meticulous data collection, and effective at communicating by email, conversation, slide presentations, and technical scientific summaries.
- Ability to learn: A person who can integrate hands-on training, technical reading, and conversation with other experienced researchers to hone their scientific skills.
- Teamwork: somebody who likes to help others in the group or company to ensure we get the job done well.
- Flexibility: A person who plans well and then recognizes and handles deviations from the plan just as well.
- Curiosity: a person who engages with their colleagues to learn about what they are doing and how their own role integrates within the team.
- A deep understanding of science related to biology including protein expression.
- Fluent with basic algebra and geometry to solve math problems to perform unit conversions, calculate molecular weights, prepare solutions from powders and by dilution of stock solutions, calculate yields.
- Comfortable using an array of software for data collection, analyses, and communication in order to graph data, prepare slide presentations, calculate values, and analyze protein and DNA sequences.
HELPFUL SKILLS TO HAVE
Please highlight meaningful research experience in any of the following areas:
- Chromatography: Specify types of chromatographic media and operating procedure: FPLC, HPLC, gravity flow columns, or batch
- Protein handling or analyses: SDS-PAGE, Western blotting, UV quantification, chemical coupling, mass spectrometry, protein formulation
- Protein Expression: tissue culture cells, bacteria, insect cell, or yeast including culturing with sterile technique, transfection/induction, and harvest.
- Bioprocess: tissue or cellular disruption, fluid filtration (TFF or Crossflow)
- Enzymology, crystallography, compound screening
- Chemistry: organic synthesis or compound management
- Molecular biology, protein evolution, phage panning, antibody-based assays
- Degree with in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Biological or Chemical Engineering or closely related field. Science degree with
- BS/BA degree with 0-3 years research experience
- Masters degree with relevant thesis research experience
NGM offers a creative, collaborative, highly challenging scientific environment, along with a strong compensation package that includes salary, stock options, 401(k) and a comprehensive benefits package.
Interested applicants should click "Apply now"