Associate Program Manager, Medical Sciences
Pharmacyclics is committed to the development and commercialization of novel therapies intended to improve the quality and duration of life and to resolve serious unmet medical needs for cancer patients. Pharmacyclics is a wholly-owned subsidiary of AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV), a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company. Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in more than 200 clinical trials for over 20 different types of cancer.
More than 1,200 Pharmacyclics and AbbVie research scientists, clinicians, marketing, operations and corporate professionals work in the San Francisco Bay Area. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. Together, we are striving to outsmart cancer.
Associate Program Manager, Medical Sciences
Within the Medical Sciences group, the Associate Program Manager (PM) supports the investigator-sponsored trials (IST) and collaborative research (CR) program by executing on defined projects or tasks. These tasks include, but are not limited to, drug shipment, report generation, contract entry, protocol and informed consent review for standard template language and meeting coordination. submitted for review. Additionally, under supervision, the Associate PM will facilitate the on-line activities associated with IST/CR proposal submissions, and the internal evaluation, reviews and approval/rejection process through the on-line application portal. The Associate PM will support the management of IST/CR studies from proposal to study completion and additionally will develop a basic understanding of the disease, molecule, and indication.
- Perform individual projects and duties as assigned
- Develops a basic knowledge of Medical Sciences Systems and Functions and all applicable policies and SOPs.
- Develop understanding of key stakeholder, general interactions with cross-functional depts and the overall impact on team activities.
- Able to generate linear workflow and process maps, largely limited to team specific activities.
- Limited involvement in managing and tracking team projects. Able to generate basic reports on project status.
- Develop knowledge of change management and the core principles of driving change and transitions in a matrixed organization.
- Demonstrates ability to manage team specific contracts from initiation through execution.
- Independently manage, track, and report on project specific spend against target spend, and escalate budget issues to team lead as necessary.
- Supports the preparation of IST/CR Working Group Meetings (Agenda/Meeting Materials) and may support with meeting facilitation and/or minutes.
- Develops/possesses basic disease-state knowledge of hematology-oncology, a high-level understanding of the various histologies that comprise it, and the indications which have garnered approval for the asset.
- Develops/possesses an understanding on the mechanisms of action, safety, and efficacy profile for the asset.
- Develops/possesses knowledge of the evolving treatment landscape across b-cell malignancies.
- BA/BS in a scientific discipline required and advanced degree a plus
- Demonstrated experience in managing multiple projects
- Basic working knowledge of GCP and FDA regulations
- Experience in hematology/oncology preferred
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and problem solve within generally defined practices and policies that lead to processes for achieving results
- Excellent organization and planning skills
- Scientific acumen
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills (both written and oral)
- Self-motivated, adaptable to a dynamic environment
- Able to collaborate effectively with cross-functional team members, and external partners
- Proficiency in MS Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint, database management
- 2+ years program manager/coordinator experience
- Experience in clinical research at either a hospital or pharmaceutical/biotech
- Experience in project management a plus
On a continuous basis, sit at desk for prolonged period of time at company facility to intermittently answer telephone, file, fax, or copy documents, and write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means. Walking and lifting up to 20 pounds may be required. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate. The physical demands described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.