Bioinformatics Associate Scientist I
Bioinformatics Associate Scientist I
Gilead Sciences, Inc.
Specific Responsibilities and skills for Position: We are seeking a talented and motivated Bioinformatics Scientist to support development of data pipelines for virology sequencing results, scientific analyses for research efforts and manuscripts, and data reporting to regulatory agencies. The candidate will work closely with Biologists to create methods used for investigation of highly diverse viral populations and the effects of sequence mutations on drug susceptibility. The individual will also work with IT and Regulatory Compliance professionals to update and verify virology data information systems used for analysis and regulatory reporting.
Required Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
• Thorough understanding and interest in biology with the demonstrated ability to contribute to scientific efforts focused on understanding diseases
• High level of proficiency and understanding in next-generation sequencing analysis
• Strong programming and scripting abilities in languages such as Python, R, Perl, C++, or C#
• Experience with open-source bioinformatics tools / packages (Samtools, Bioconductor, etc) and understanding of the bioinformatics algorithms employed in these tools
• Experience in relational database design and writing SQL queries for SQL/Oracle databases
• Experience with source code control systems (SVN, Git) and unit testing
• Strong organizational and communication skills; ability to write technical documentation
Desired Knowledge, Experience, and Skills:
• Experience evaluating genetic variation in populations using phylogenetics
• Knowledgeable with statistical analysis tools/packages such as R, SAS, Matlab
• Experience with distributed computing tools (i.e. Hadoop, Hive, Spark, MongoDB, Airflow)
Specific Education and Experience:
• A degree in bioinformatics, computer science, computational biology, genomics, or a related field.
• 4+ years of experience with Master's degree
• 5+ years of experience with a Bachelor's degree
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability,genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the‘EEO is the Law'poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For jobs in France:
Conformement à la Loi « Informatique et Libertes » (06/01/78), nous vous informons du fait que les donnees personnelles renseignees pourront faire l'objet d'un traitement informatique par Gilead et pourront être transmises aux Organismes Sociaux. Par ailleurs, vous disposez d'un droit d'accès, de rectification et de suppression des donnees vous concernant. Vous pouvez exercer ce droit en mailto:contactant:FranceDataPrivacy@gilead.com
For full application instructions and position description, visit: http://apptrkr.com/1237468
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.