Corporate Development Manager
As an integral member of the Corporate Development department, manage assessment of complex business opportunities in Strategic Growth & Alliances and work cross-functionally to complete high-priority and high impact collaboration agreements for TBCT. Responsible for the successful implementation of growth and process initiatives within Corporate Development.
In support of growth in each of the TBCT business areas, proactively source and perform initial screening of new opportunities. Employing a breadth of industry knowledge, including scientific, clinical/physician, and market/market access, analyze the potential commercial impact of new opportunities. Develop business case for opportunities of interest and compellingly communicate the value of the opportunity to management and key stakeholders. With corporate development team, build and maintain funnel of diverse opportunities, including distribution, co-marketing, co-promotion, and acquisitions, and work within corporate development processes to drive evaluations to completion in a timely manner.
Building and Maintaining Funnel of Growth Opportunities
- Drawing on a strong foundation of medical product development, scientific knowledge and market experience, proactively and efficiently prospect for new opportunities within or related to TBCT core areas.
- Attend industry conferences, build relationships with industry innovators and emerging companies, build and communicate to key stakeholders intelligence on potentially disruptive technologies, products, or business models and identify potential alliance opportunities.
- Leverage competitive intelligence to identify future opportunities with emerging companies, technologies and solutions.
- Employ corporate development best practices in arranging for and managing meetings with potential partners while maintaining confidentiality and controlling communications as appropriate for scope and nature of transaction.
- Independently identify potential complementary products and global/regional opportunities to compliment the current portfolio strategy.
Evaluation of Potential Opportunities
- Create and defend recommendations
- Understand and evaluate potential pathways for commercialization/ rollout strategies and perform initial market assessments, drawing on industry expertise to identify and characterize key success factors, risk areas and adoption hurdles. Works collaboratively with regulatory, legal, commercial, etc when additional analysis is needed.
- Develop business cases for high-potential opportunities including strategic assessment, revenue projections, and implications for commercial implementation. Provides guidance to analysts in development of detailed financial model and identifies key variables that drive costs and revenue.
- Identify potential impact(s) of new products across business areas and relevance to regional and emerging markets.
- Use Corporate Development technology tools to develop project plans for opportunity evaluations and provide reporting for management.
Supporting Growth of TBCT
- Become trusted partner of TBCT Business Areas, understand product pipelines and roadmaps, and advise on potential opportunities to augment the business.
- Build relationships within Innovation & Development department to work collaboratively in evaluation of early stage opportunities both from Ideation and from industry / external companies. Ensure and provide commercial perspective in developing business cases and financial analyses.
Corporate Development Initiatives
- Triage and prioritize in-coming complex business opportunities. Determine go/no-go decision based on grasp of TBCT business strategy.
- Work with New Technology Ventures in I&D to build out a common knowledgebase of companies engaged and products evaluated by TBCT. Categorize technologies and capture assessments.
- Understand challenges faced by key customers; analyze and propose strategies, business ventures or specific programs to effectively collaborate with them for the mutual financial benefit of both parties.
- With key stakeholders, develop plan to rollout updated distributed products process to ensure the smooth transition of new products to the commercial organization and rapid initiation of sales.
- Scope out new lines of business for TBCT that would significantly augment existing products and drive incremental product sales or provide additional revenue streams. Identify potential partners and business models and work with global marketing and business area leaders to build business cases and create commercialization plans.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Bachelor’s degree or, equivalent of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job may be considered.
Strongly prefer MD, PhD, or MS degree
Minimum 10 years experience.
Experience in healthcare, medical devices, biotech or pharmaceuticals with varied functional background including for example, product marketing, business development, market access and product development, with at least 5 years of scientific capacity.
Clinical knowledge or technical experience in relevant therapeutic growth areas a plus
- Market analysis and strategy development
- Ability to quickly grasp and articulate value propositions for new products and lines of business
- Highly developed communication skills
- Managerial presence and interpersonal impact
- Ability to manage a diverse array of projects and cross-functional teams with energy and enthusiasm
- Demonstrated ability to understand evolving scientific, market and regulatory trends as well as the current and future needs in the medical device and biotechnology industry
- Financial analysis skills including ability to evaluate strategic, operational and financial implications of diverse growth opportunities
An equivalent competency level acquired through a variation of these qualifications may be considered.
Typical Office Environment requirements include: reading, speaking, hearing, close vision, walking, bending, sitting, and occasional lifting up to 20 pounds.
Additional Physical Requirements
Travel required (up to 15%)
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. All applicants will be afforded equal opportunity without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, military status or an unfavorable discharge from military service.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing and background verification checks. As of January 1, 2017 the Terumo BCT Lakewood, Colorado location will be a tobacco-free workplace. For more information about Terumo BCT, visit our website www.terumobct.com/careers.
Join Terumo BCT as we unlock the potential of blood. We are a global leader in blood component and cellular technologies, and the only company with the unique combination of apheresis collections, manual and automated whole blood processing, and pathogen reduction coupled with leading technologies in therapeutic apheresis and cell processing. We believe in the potential of blood to do even more for patients than it does today. This belief inspires our innovation and strengthens our collaboration with customers.
As the largest medical device manufacturing company headquartered in Colorado, we are home to more than 2,300 associates and our products are in use in more than 125 countries and territories. Our Global footprint includes more than 5,500 associates and partners with regional headquarters in Brussels, Buenos Aires, Singapore and Tokyo.
Our company has almost $1B in annual revenues and has been voted and recognized as:
- Largest corporate sponsor in Rocky Mountain Region for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS)
- Winner of the Association for Talent Development (ATD) BEST Award for providing exceptional employee learning and talent development (2011 & 2012)
- One of Colorado’s Healthiest Employers by Denver Business Journal (2014 & 2015)
- Recipient of the Way to Go Employer award through the Denver Regional Council of Governments (DRCOG) 2015
Our award-winning culture embraces:
- Leading technology through innovation and R&D
- Wellness programs
- Commitment to quality
- An environment that values, respects and rewards your individual contributions
- A philosophy of intentional growth and responsiveness to world health issues