Veterinary Sciences Technician
At Bristol-Myers Squibb, we're creating innovative medicines for patients who are fighting serious diseases. We're also nurturing our own team with inspiring work and challenging career options. No matter our role, each of us makes a contribution. And that makes all the difference.
Position: Veterinary Sciences Technician
Location: Redwood City, CA
We are seeking a Technician to join the Veterinary Sciences team. As such you will experience a culture that believes in making the animal care and use program a model for the industry. We are focused on providing employees with career development and activities across our entire drug development process.
Bristol-Myers Squibb is the industry leader in immuno-oncology with life-saving medicines and a rich clinical portfolio of diverse modalities including monoclonal antibody, antibody drug conjugate, fusion protein, and combination regimes.
• Performs routine and some non-routine work required for the care of laboratory animals. Assist in providing health care for laboratory animals and restraint of animals for veterinary staff and research personnel.
• Provides proper feed and clean caging to laboratory animals and checks drinking water system in assigned areas/rooms daily. Accurately completes room logs, other forms, and records applicable to position on prescribed schedule.
• Monitors environmental parameters, condition of animal rooms and equipment in rooms, and proper functioning of mechanical systems (e.g., HVAC, lighting, automatic drinking water system) in assigned areas/rooms daily. Operates cage washers, autoclaves, and other equipment as assigned. Performs equipment and facility maintenance tasks.
• Participates in training and education programs as required.
• Follows operational procedures in the performance of daily tasks, and works cooperatively with others (VS staff and researches) to achieve individual, department and business goals.
• Under supervision, may assist with writing new or revised procedures.
• Proficient in assisting VS or research personnel with handling, restraining, and weighing animals. Proficient in performing various technical duties in specialized areas. As directed and under the supervision of a veterinarian, assists with administering treatments to animals.
• Observes animal behavior and health and reports any concerns to veterinary staff.
Competencies - Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• Individual will have demonstrated ability to understand and follow SOPs and to perform tasks with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
• Individual will have demonstrated ability to follow directions, communicate effectively, and work well in a team environment.
• Individual will have demonstrated the physical stamina and dexterity needed to handle laboratory animals, including species that may be difficult to work with, and the use of personal protective equipment.
• Be proficient in using email, basic Microsoft office applications and department assigned mobile computer devices.
Experience - Responsibility and minimum number of years:
• Individual must have a minimum of 1-2 years of relevant experience in laboratory animal science.
• Individual must be a high school graduate or have a GED
• Individuals who have appropriate experience but no AALAS certification must obtain AALAS certification at Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) level within 6 months of employment.
• An Associate of Science degree or Bachelor of Science degree is preferred.