Sr. Software Engineer- Genomic Discovery Platform
Sr. Software Engineer - Genomic Discovery Platform
Synthetic Genomics programs the operating system of life to create sustainable solutions for humankind’s most pressing issues, from the well being of our population to the health of our planet. With an unmatched understanding of how DNA drives the function of cells SGI modifies and writes genomes to enable transformative products in the areas of vaccines, medicines and biofuels. We are now entering the field of personalized medicine with unique systems that could change how we defeat the deadliest diseases. Software is a big part of this.
Our Software Engineering group in La Jolla, CA is developing new cloud-based applications to manage Synthetic Genomics’ discovery processes and the data they generate. We are creating tools to track our experiments, learn from them and streamline the way our scientists interact with billions of data points. We are looking for Software Developers who are passionate about their craft, thrive on challenges, and believe in success through collaboration.
- Build well architected and robust components for our distributed Genomic Discovery Platform by designing and implementing microservices (Python), data stores (Postgres, Elasticsearch) and web clients (React).
- Contribute to our software frameworks to maximize reuse and stability of the platform.
- Integrate scientific tools and external sources with our services to maintain seamless data flows from laboratory to researchers.
- Participate in internal requirement gathering and review sessions. Assist in documenting user requirements and prioritization.
- Work closely with Software Engineers, DevOps and Computational Biologists to create scalable and reliable solutions.
- Adopt the tools and practices of our continuous integration workflow (unit and integration tests, code and architecture reviews, static code checking).
- Demonstrate a passion for producing high-quality solutions
- 5+ experience working with web services and distributed systems.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of Object Oriented Development and proven experience working on complex architectures.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of database design and data modeling.
- Experience with continuous integration workflows using GitHub and Jenkins.
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in Computer Science or equivalent engineering curriculum.