Research Associate/Sr. RA- Cell Separation & Protein Purification- TEMP (6 Mos)
At Synthetic Genomics, Inc., we are dedicated to developing and commercializing genomic-driven solutions to address global challenges. We are currently seeking a RA/SRA to join our fast-growing, dynamic and collaborative team in La Jolla, CA.
The TEMP Research Associate/Senior Research Associate will join the Heterotrophic Cell Systems Unit, which focuses on the research and development of novel host production systems for biotechnological and biopharmaceutical applications. The candidate will evaluate different techniques and processes for the purification of proteins and antibodies from fermentation supernatants. He/she should have good knowledge of modern methods of protein and/or antibody purification starting from cell removal, filtration, affinity purification or precipitation/ crystallization and good hands on experience in at least one of these steps. Experience with tech transfer or scaling of purification protocols from lab to pilot will be a plus.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- With direction from senior leadership, develop and execute research plans towards developing purification methods of proteins or antibodies.
- Evaluate equipment and techniques for the upstream steps of protein purification (cell removal, protein concentration, precipitation etc).
- Purify proteins and antibodies from cell cultures or cell lysates using affinity chromatography or other techniques.
- Prepare samples for further submission to internal and external collaborators
- Generate detailed and complete notebook and communicate data to group in written and oral reports
- Interact effectively within a multidisciplinary team
- Requires a Bachelors or Masters degree in Biochemistry, bioprocess engineering or related field with a minimum of 2-5 years of experience in industry or an academic lab.
- Good knowledge and experience in all steps of protein purification starting from cell cultures. Experience with development or optimization of purification steps and procedures is a plus.
- Proven experience in purification and handling of proteins and/or antibodies.
- Experience with common instrumentation for protein purification (such as FPLC) and with methods for filtration and media concentration (TFF, etc)
- Experience with continuous processes for antibody or protein purification will be a plus
- Knowledge of computer-based monitoring and control systems will be a plus.
- Develop and follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and additional verbal and written directions.