4D Molecular Therapeutics, located in Emeryville is a global leader in gene therapy product research & development using scientific innovation to unlock the full potential of gene therapy for patients with genetic diseases. At 4D Molecular Therapeutics, our goal is to design and develop transformative gene therapy products using our proprietary adeno-associated virus variants platform to treat serious unmet medical conditions.
We are seeking an exceptional Controller/Director of Accounting to take on a leadership role within our Accounting and Finance team.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Responsible for all accounting operations (e.g., accounts payable, fixed assets, general accounting, payroll and T&E) and related internal controls
- Supervise and mentor accounting staff and accounts payable to ensure accurate recording of accounting transactions and reconciliation of general ledger and financial statement balances
- Drive month-end close processes and review monthly journal entries and account reconciliations
- Ensure internal monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements and management reporting packages are completed on a timely basis and in accordance with GAAP
- Coordinate and review all technical accounting analyses and documentation
- Draft and review all periodic filings including financial statements and footnotes
- Prepares schedules requested by external tax advisors for corporate income tax returns and tax provision calculations
- Researches, determines and documents the accounting implications of transactions or changes in business and provides accounting and business expertise to project teams
- Primary coordinator for auditor engagements
- Develop and maintain internal controls for key processes and prepare appropriately for SOX compliance
- Administers and maintains the Company’s accounting policies and procedures in accordance with all accounting rules and regulations and ensures adherence to accounting policies and procedures
- Improve and implement software applications related to accounting and finance operations
- Build strong relationships throughout the Company and support cross-functional teams and activities as appropriate
- BA/BS in accounting, finance, economics or related field; MBA preferred
- Experience with a Big 4 or other national accounting firm preferred
- 10+ years’ experience in accounting and finance; Biotech experience required
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP and internal controls
- Thorough knowledge of SEC rules and regulations, procedures and practices
- Public company experience, including SEC reporting; IPO process experience is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to interface and communicate effectively with executive management and other functions within the organization
- High level of attention to detail and aptitude for planning/managing multiple deadlines
- Must be self-motivated and function independently, driven towards superior effort and performance and the desire to work in a very dynamic environment
- Strong problem solving and the ability succeed in a fast paced start-up environment
- Excellent working knowledge of Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook; experience working and extracting information from various ERP systems
4DMT offers competitive benefits and incentive based compensation along with a collaborative, team-based and innovative scientific based environment.