Amyris is seeking an experienced, well-rounded IP attorney who will pitch in wherever necessary to assist the Company in continuing to execute its ambitious goals. This attorney will work closely with other members of the Amyris Legal Team, draft and prosecute biotechnology-related patent applications, manage outside counsel, and coordinate with transverse partners across the Company. This position reports to the VP, Intellectual Property.
- Manage IP portfolio for assigned Amyris products, including patent and trademark preparation and prosecution for U.S and foreign filings.
- Providing strategic counsel to the business regarding the competitive IP landscape for the company’s current product portfolio and future product candidates and technology plans.
- Identify patentable inventions through frequent interactions with internal and external R&D project teams.
- Manage outside counsel in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications before the USPTO and abroad through foreign counsel.
- Negotiate and draft agreements with IP implications (e.g., CDAs, MTAs, research agreements, licenses, etc.).
- Educate and advise colleagues on intellectual property issues and good practices.
- Prepare or advise the organization on other agreements and/or contracts including research agreements; consulting agreements; license agreements; general commercial agreements, etc.
Desired Skills and Experience
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Juris Doctorate or equivalent
- An advanced degree in Microbiology, Bioengineering, Molecular Genetics, or a related biotechnology-relevant discipline
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and an active member of at least one U.S. state bar (with ability to be admitted in California)
- 5-10 years of total prior legal experience including time at a top-tier law firm and at least 3 years prior legal experience in the pharmaceutical and/or biotechnology industries
- Working knowledge of transactional, commercial, and intellectual property law
- Experience drafting and prosecuting biotechnology-related patent applications
- Ability to independently draft and negotiate agreements
- Comfortable counseling and meeting the needs of multiple internal clients
- Experience managing outside counsel
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated interpersonal interaction skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage and drive projects cross-functionally across departments
- Strong prioritization skills and the ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and priorities and the ability to quickly adjust to shifting priorities and demanding deadlines when necessary
Amyris, a leader in industrial synthetic biology, uses its innovative bioscience solutions to achieve renewable products by converting plant sugars into hydrocarbon molecules. Amyris’ molecules are used in wide range of specialty & performance chemicals, flavors & fragrances and in applications ranging from cosmetics to biofuels. Learn more at www.amyris.com.
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
For a full list of our current openings, please visit our website <http://www.amyris.com>.