Senior Scientist/Associate Director - Protein Engineering
Metacrine is a dynamic, driven small company headquartered in San Diego, CA. The company is focused on advancing novel molecules for treatment of metabolic diseases.
We are looking for a highly motivated scientist with experience in protein engineering, expression, purification and analytical characterization. The candidate will lead protein engineering efforts on our type 2 diabetes program focused on a novel insulin sensitizer. Ideal candidate will lead from the bench and have hands on experience with cloning, bacterial expression and purification. S/he will work closely with the biology group to advancement the project from lead target identification to clinical candidate nomination.
- Direct protein engineering for bacterial expression for small scale in vitro screening and scale-up production with low endotoxin for in vivo testing
- Demonstrated expertise in state of the art technologies employed for recombinant DNA manipulation including but not limited to cloning, site-directed mutagenesis, codon optimization, and/or gene synthesis
- Broad knowledge of protein analytical technology including chromatographic methods such as HPLC (SEC, IEX, RP, and IEF), mass spectroscopy, electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE, Western Blots), differential scanning fluorimetry, and LAL endotoxin analysis.
- Experience with automated protein purification techniques using GE’s AKTA systems
- Experience with protein stability and formulation a plus
- Present at team meetings to provide timely input and scientific guidance to progress the programs forward
- Maintain inventory and records of expression constructs and proteins
- Experience with molecular modeling and SAR analysis a plus
- Masters or PhD in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Chemical Engineering or related field.
- 5-10 years recombinant protein expression experience in pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry
- Previous experience in managing direct reports
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently in a fast-passed environment
Please include cover letter highlighting relevant experience and expertise.