Research Scientist in silico ADMET
We are seeking a highly motivated scientist to join the cheminformatics group at Vertex. We are specifically looking for a candidate with in silico ADMET experience and who has a strong grasp of this domain knowledge. This position will be part of our M&I function, which sits at the interface between Research and Development and plays a key role in our continuing efforts to find novel, innovative treatments for serious human diseases. The ideal candidate will be responsible for developing computational approaches to maximize the utility of internally generated ADMET data (leveraging external data sources when relevant). These approaches will include building predictive in silico models, integrating ADMET results into the compound design cycle and developing compelling visualizations to enable robust decision making. These activities will be performed in collaboration with experimentalists to support projects and global solutions. Strong collaboration and communication skills are therefore essential.
- PhD degree (or equivalent) and experience in ADMET modeling to aid drug design and optimize for pharmacokinetic and drug interaction profiles is required.
- Specific expertise in building predictive models using machine-learning methods is a must.
- It is desired that the candidate have experience in structure-based prediction of metabolism, transport, excretion and drug interaction liabilities of drug candidates.
- Familiarity with the applications, DEREK and SARAH is expected and experience with initiatives such as SEND would be an asset.
- Solid understanding of statistics and expertise in R and other widely used programming languages (e.g. Python) and familiarity with high-performance computing and databases (e.g. SQL) is desirable.
- Prior experience in visualizing scientific datasets, especially ones where multiple dimensions and data types are integrated is desirable.
- Individuals with excellent communication skills and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively across our global research organization will be given preference.
** Title and level commensurate with experience
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation to create transformative medicines for people with serious and life-threatening diseases. We discovered and developed the first medicines to treat the underlying cause of cystic fibrosis (CF), a rare, life-threatening genetic disease. In addition to clinical development programs in CF, Vertex has more than a dozen ongoing research programs focused on the underlying mechanisms of other serious diseases.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Mass., Vertex today has research and development sites and offices around the world. For several consecutive years, Science magazine has named Vertex one of its Top Employers in the life sciences. For additional information and the latest updates from the Company, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.