Project Manager, Integrated Clinical Development
The Manager/Sr. Manager, works with a Global Project Manager to manage one or more drug development programs within the Integrated Program Management (IPM) department. The manager/sr manager supports the execution of high quality, global, integrated cross-functional plans for one or more drug development program. The individual is expected to apply project management best practices in the development, initiation, planning, execution, maintenance, and closing of projects. The IPM Manager/Sr. Manager will also highlight risks, timeline delays and other issues to the Global Project manager. The candidate will be a team player with well-developed skills for gaining the cooperation of others and ensuring effective communication among team members. Previous drug discovery/development and project team experience is required.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Creates and maintains high quality integrated project plans and ensures alignment between overall program strategy and cross-functional plans.
- Communicates project status through monthly dashboards and other reporting materials. Includes collecting information and ensuring accuracy of reports
- Assists with global project team meetings as needed (may include writing and distributing meeting minutes and following up on action items)
- May Independently manage sub-teams of the global project team
- Assists with risk mitigation planning
- Facilitates financial planning process by integrating input from functions and project teams
- Coordinates activities with external business partners and alliances, where applicable; contribute to achieving partnership contract deliverables
- Supports department initiatives as needed
- Applies project management best practices and processes
- Provides project information to Global Program Manager for incorporation into strategic deliverables, program timelines, and portfolio discussions
- Provides project information at functional sub-team meetings and to other stakeholders
- Assists Global Program Manager to create and manage cross functional communication plans as appropriate
- Escalates project issues and risk mitigations to Global Program Manager or functional sub-team leader in a timely manner
- Assist Global Program Manager with development of Governance Board deliverables as needed
- Advanced degree preferred or strong demonstration of equivalent combination of relevant educational and professional training
- Six (6) to Eight (8) years industry experience in the Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical, or other Healthcare related field
- At least three (3) years of experience in a pharmaceutical Project Management role
- Drug Development knowledge with basic to strong understanding of other functions relevant to the position which may include: Research, Pre-Clinical, Clinical, Manufacturing & Operations, Commercial, and Regulatory
- Strong interpersonal skills with experience leading cross-functional teams in matrix environment preferred.
- Flexible and able to work independently to manage work priorities and follow tasks through to completion
- Proficient with Project Management best practices and tools including MS Project
- Quick learner, goal oriented and results driven with excellent problem solving skills and ability to escalate issues appropriately
- Good verbal and written communication skills
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation to create transformative medicines for people with serious and life-threatening diseases. We discovered and developed the first medicines to treat the underlying cause of cystic fibrosis (CF), a rare, life-threatening genetic disease. In addition to clinical development programs in CF, Vertex has more than a dozen ongoing research programs focused on the underlying mechanisms of other serious diseases.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Mass., Vertex today has research and development sites and offices around the world. For several consecutive years, Science magazine has named Vertex one of its Top Employers in the life sciences. For additional information and the latest updates from the Company, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.