Scientist, Protein Purification and Characterization
Nitrome Biosciences (Nitrome) is an early preclinical stage company developing lead compounds against a new class of enzyme(s) with Parkinson’s disease as our first indication.
Nitrome is seeking to recruit a Scientist, Protein Purification and Characterization, to join our team in a full-time, contract position (6 months) with potential to become a permanent position. The successful candidate will have the enviable role of conducting cutting-edge, exploratory research in a biotech setting. This position is in the MBC (formerly QB3@953) in San Francisco.
The successful candidate will continue the development of a purification process for a new enzyme and will expand this process to enable purification to homogeneity to obtain sequence identity. The incumbent will work with an Assay Development professional in characterizing this activity during the purification process as well as characterizing key properties of the enzyme including pH and temperature stability, cofactor and kinetic analysis, etc. This purification will be conducted in coordination with the Assay Development professional and will also provide sufficient quantities of the enzyme activity to the Assay Development professional to use in a High Throughput Screen (HTS) to identify small molecule inhibitors.
- Purification of proteins to homogeneity from endogenous sources using AKTA FPLC equipment
- Ability to identify and develop optimal column chromatography processes to facility increase in specific activity and purification to homogeneity of enzyme activities
- Biochemical characterization of novel, endogenous protein activity
- SDS-PAGE, Western blot, ELISA, HPLC analysis
- Support HTS assay development and implementation activities
- General molecular biology, cloning, cell transduction expertise
- Basic bioinformatics capabilities
- Degree (BS, MS, or Ph D) in Biochemistry or related scientific field
- 10 years+ protein purification and characterization experience.
- Drug discovery experience is a plus.
- Proven ability to work both independently and as an integrated player in a small team environment.
- Detail-oriented, proficient in oral and written communication.
- Ideal candidate will have a thorough ability to conduct high quality, creative bench level work while also understanding the big picture and how to move the program forward efficiently.
- Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Nitrome is an equal opportunity employer.