Senior Research Scientist, Translational Biology at Vertex Pharmaceuticals
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that aims to discover, develop and commercialize innovative medicines so people with serious diseases can lead better lives. In addition to our clinical development programs focused on cystic fibrosis, Vertex has more than a dozen ongoing research programs aimed at other serious and life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Mass., Vertex today has research and development sites and commercial offices in the United States, Europe, Canada and Australia. For four years in a row, Science magazine has named Vertex one of its Top Employers in the life sciences. For additional information and the latest updates from the Company, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Reporting to the Head of Assay Development, this role will interface closely with the Translational Biologists and Research Project teams to shape this role and to design a strategy to procure and test human tissues. The successful candidate will interface with hospitals, KOLs, and CROs to execute on a global tissue strategy. Experience running clinical trials and/or biobanking studies is preferred. The ideal candidate will also have experience with assay development and companion diagnostic development, including the use of human tissues to drive validation and qualification of assays.
Qualified candidates will:
- Interface closely with both Research and Development
- Define Global Human Tissue Plan and present to the Research Leadership Team
- Work with Translational Biologists and Project teams to develop specific human tissue plans
- Interface externally with hospitals, KOLs, CROs, and biobanks
- Work closely with clinical colleagues to design and execute on Ph0/biobanking studies
- Work with Translational Leads to drive development of key assays, including companion diagnostics
- MS or PhD in cellular and molecular biology, neurobiology, or a related field in the biological sciences
- 3-6 years of relevant post-doctoral and/or industry experience
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Experience writing clinical protocols, procuring human tissues, and working closely with clinical development to drive execution of clinical studies
- Prior work experience in biomarkers or clinical biomarkers preferred
- Experience working in the neuroscience, pulmonary, kidney and/or liver disease preferred
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.