Senior Manager, Packaging Engineering at Vertex Pharmaceuticals
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that aims to discover, develop and commercialize innovative medicines so people with serious diseases can lead better lives. In addition to our clinical development programs focused on cystic fibrosis, Vertex has more than a dozen ongoing research programs aimed at other serious and life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Mass., Vertex today has research and development sites and commercial offices in the United States, Europe, Canada and Australia. For four years in a row, Science magazine has named Vertex one of its Top Employers in the life sciences. For additional information and the latest updates from the Company, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals is currently looking for a Senior Packaging Manager in our Boston, MA headquarters. We have three commercial products and a robust pipeline with new molecules in various stages of clinical development. With this exciting growth, Vertex is seeking a Sr. Packaging Manager to lead key packaging activities including packaging design and specification, equipment and tooling design and qualification, labeling, material selection, testing, and sourcing. This position will ensure optimal supplier performance and continuity of supply by maintaining strong partnerships with external suppliers of packaging operations, materials, and services for Vertex development and commercial products. The candidate will be a leader, with broad awareness of resources and best practices across the pharmaceutical packaging industry, and a track record of managing outsourced packaging and labeling operations.
Key Responsibilities and Required Skills:
- The Packaging Manager will manage a portfolio of primary and secondary packaging projects for launch in global markets. They will be expected to:
- Collaborate with Pharmaceutical Development, Regulatory, Supply Chain, Quality, and other departments to meet all packaging requirements, including but not limited to; regulatory requirements, engineering studies and line qualification, storage and distribution testing and USP Testing, to ensure a robust supply of finished goods to patients
- Oversee end-to-end packaging validation activities and be responsible for reviewing packaging qualification and validation documents
- Obtain Package concept approval, drawing approval, tooling qualification, child-resistant / senior-friendly testing, specification generation and approval
- Bachelor's degree and 5+ years of experience in pharmaceutical packaging
- Ability to travel domestic and international. (Approximately 40-60%)
- in multiple solid dose packaging disciplines: materials, bottle and closure systems, blister packaging, design of secondary and tertiary components, component compatibility, component qualification, equipment installation and qualification
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple high-priority projects concurrently
- Knowledge of cGMPs and associated regulatory considerations in a commercial pharmaceutical packaging environment
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Degree in Packaging, Chemical or Mechanical Engineering
- Proven ability to communicate clearly and concisely (written/oral)
- Packaging experience in Pharma/Biotech/Medical Device industry
- Embody the Vertex Core Values of Uncompromising Commitment to Patients, Fearless Pursuit of Excellence, Innovation is Our Lifeblood, and “We” Wins
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, highly-matrixed work environment
- A desire to be part of a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious diseases and their families and society
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.