Sr. Manager, Sequencing Research (Operations)
Other Locations:US- CA- San Diego
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries, and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
We are seeking a talented and experienced Sr. Manager to join our new Sequencing Research capability in San Diego. The successful candidate will perform a pivotal role in support the smooth operation and engagement of the Sequencing team across the following areas:
- Enabling collaborative partnership between sequencing scientists and research colleagues across Celgene Research & Early Development (R/ED).
- Managing sample and data transfer logistics both within Celgene and for external vendor interactions.
- Supporting triage of NGS capability needs across internal and external resources, and monitor capacity of internal resources.
- Maintaining up-to-date documentation of practices, protocols and standards, compiling and communicating performance metrics.
- Facilitating connections between the Sequencing Research team and collaborating functions, including data managers, computational researchers, IT infrastructure and laboratory managers.
- Enabling visibility of the unit and awareness of its capabilities by liaising with Celgene stakeholders.
Key stakeholders include researchers in our thematic centers of excellence (TCoEs) and colleagues in the Research Informatics and Knowledge Utilization (RIKU) department, engaged in work towards key objectives for Celgene Research and Early Development (R/ED).
This position suits an individual with demonstrated organizational talent, with excellent communication and collaboration skills. Keen interest in enabling the innovative application of high-throughput molecular profiling methods in life sciences and therapeutic development scenarios is imperative.
Applications are encouraged from those looking to impact delivery of truly innovative and life-changing therapies for complex diseases of unmet medical need.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Communicate group capabilities and enable collaborative engagement between sequencing researchers and Celgene R/ED colleagues around pursuit of NGS experiments.
- Coordinate with Director of Sequencing Research to plan incoming projects and timelines for sample preparation and sequencing.
- Manage sequencing research projects, track progress and deadlines, estimate resource requirements, ensure integrity of LIMS content.
- Coordinate sample transfer, preparation, sequencing, and data delivery logistics for experiments performed in-house and/or via external organizations, liaising with participating Celgene functions, e.g. lab scientists, computational researchers, data managers.
- Provide delivery estimates, progress updates and follow-up to stakeholders throughout the course of NGS experiments.
- Contribute to development, complication and communication of sample/data QC metrics and performance metrics for Sequencing Research group.
- Participate in triage decisions between use of internal and external sequencing capabilities.
- Maintain up-to-date, technically-detailed documentation of practices, protocols and standards.
- Present operational working of the Sequencing Research group to Celgene colleagues via presentations, documents, web resources.
- Contribute to enable strategic engagements with external partners, working with R/ED colleagues to develop an external partner network for Celgene Sequencing Research.
- BSc./MSc. (Ph.D. preferred) in biology, biochemistry, genetics or related field of life sciences research at a recognized higher-education establishment.
- Minimum 5 years of experience of NGS-based research and/or operational support in academic, hospital, CRO, and/or biotechnology environments. Strong background in genetics and genomics research prerequisite.
- In-depth knowledge and experience in application of contemporary NGS technologies, protocols and experimental design considerations.
- Familiarity with downstream bioinformatics approaches applied to process, analyze, visualize and interpret NGS datasets, open-source bioinformatics tools and contemporary database structures.
- Significant practical experience in use of LIMS systems for sample, project and output management.
- Experience preferable in the development and use of performance metrics to create a culture of continuous improvement.
- Experience preferable in use of NGS and single-cell profiling methods to answer complex research questions in cancer biology, autoimmune disease, epigenetics and/or immune biology.
- Demonstrable previous success in 3rd party engagements, to deliver scientific output of high quality and value that aligns with complex scientific research objectives.
- Exceptional interpersonal, teamwork and relationship-building talents, with proven ability to interact collaboratively across organizational structures, levels and disciplines.
- High levels of self-motivation and independence, proven problem-solving skills, and focus on organizational excellence, high quality standards, scientific rigor, and delivery to deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written scientific and technical communication skills. Adaptability across disciplines. Fluent verbal and written English language skills prerequisite.
BIO-USCelgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.