Director, Computational Chemistry
Other Locations:US- CA- San Diego
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries, and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
The Director role will be primarily responsible for the delivery of 1) computational chemistry driven molecular design and in silico tools which have high project impact, and 2) the proposal, advocacy, and leadership of new targets and external collaborations that have a high direct impact on departmental and site goals. It is an expectation that the role will be filled by an individual with extensive computational chemistry and drug design experience in the drug discovery/biopharmaceutical industry with a track record of significant achievements.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
The Director of Computational Chemistry will both lead and support activities including, but not limited to:
- Building and maintaining a state-of-the-art computational chemistry group
- Providing effective computational chemistry project support that advances projects against key milestones
- Providing technical and people leadership for the computational chemistry group and, where appropriate, chemistry department and project teams
- Proposing and championing new drug discovery targets that will help deliver both the Celgene mission and fit appropriately within a portfolio of targets
- Proposing and leading external collaborations which both have a direct and indirect impact on project team goals
- Ensuring effective interdepartmental coordination of in silico work streams related to drug discovery
- The design and/or assessment of effective new in silico tools and their successful implementation (e.g., free energy methods, convolutional neural networks, etc.)
- The impactful delivery of strategies for new lead matter identification via judicious use of virtual screening, compound acquisition, and HTS screening.
- Providing guidance for the computational chemistry group including budget recommendation and FTE allocation
- The design and optimization of small molecule inhibitors within, or as a leader of, a project team of medicinal/synthetic chemists, biochemists, and biologists using state-of-the-art modeling and cheminformatics approaches
- The evaluation and visualization of SAR from biochemical screening data which provides impactful hypotheses for the design and optimization of novel, drug-like chemical entities
- Contribute to strategic advancement of effective in silico predictive tools
- PhD in organic chemistry, computational chemistry, cheminformatics or related fields with 16 years of relevant work experience and biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry experience, required.
- Extensive experience with commercial modeling and data mining software such as MOE, Openeye, Seurat, Gaussian, Schrodinger, Accelrys, and Pipeline Pilot, Knime
- Expert knowledge of the state-of-the-art for computational chemistry and its application in drug discovery
- Expert knowledge of protein dynamics and compound molecular properties
- Able to manage ideas from multiple sources including the patent and scientific literature
- Previous supervisory experience of PhD level scientists
- A working knowledge of structural alerts, chemical stability, organic chemistry, and synthetic do-ability
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Possess an entrepreneurial approach
BIO-USCelgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.