Human Resource Operations
NGM Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. is a private biotech company dedicated to discovering and developing the next generation of medicines for the treatment of serious diseases. Our experienced scientific team has joined forces with an impressive group of industry professionals, Nobel Laureates and other distinguished researchers to form a company where innovation and cutting edge science has provided the foundation for a robust drug discovery engine. To date, NGM Bio has generated a pipeline of six drug candidates in various stages of development, including NGM282 that recently demonstrated proof-of-concept in a Phase 2 study in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). In 2015, we entered into a broad, strategic collaboration with Merck that will provide us with the resources and flexibility to pursue our ambitious R&D goals and further extend our pipeline of novel drug candidates.
NGM Bio is seeking a Manager, Human Resource Operations who has a hands on approach and has the ability to monitor the "pulse" of the employees to ensure a high level of employee engagement. This individual should have approximately 8+ years experience in HR with a concentration in benefits, compensation and immigration, and 4+ years working with HR systems. This individual must have strong Excel skills.
- Administer all health and welfare plans including health insurance, FSA, life and disability.
- Administer 401(k) plan including 5500 filings and annual audits.
- Regularly review existing policies and programs and make recommendations for new plans or changes in existing plans, based on program metrics, company objectives, legislative changes and market trends.
- Review and approve all benefit invoices for accuracy before submitting for final approval, resolving discrepancies with carriers.
- Summarize and report on benefit expenses to ensure alignment of budget.
- Prepare benefit and wellness related communications, presentations and promotions.
- Prepare all benefits related reporting, including annual 5500’s and ACA.
- Document and update benefit related policies, summary plan descriptions, and HR procedures.
- Administer LOA’s ensuring state and federal compliance.
- Administer workers compensation program.
- Process benefit enrollments and changes.
- Manage Open Enrollment.
- Answer questions related to all benefit programs. Act as a liaison with broker or carriers for escalated issues.
- Administer COBRA for eligible employees.
- Partner with director on annual salary review project.
- Participate in market and salary surveys.
- Conduct compensation benchmarking market analysis.
- Generate complex spreadsheets for annual compensation review.
- Work with outside counsel, determine appropriate non-immigrant visa types for all foreign nationals including H-1B, J-1 and TN.
- Manage pre-offer immigration assessments and case initiations.
- Work with employees to resolve immigration issues including extensions, green cards, etc.
- Maintain regulatory compliance with all immigration government agencies.
- Manage in-house postings for PERM recruitment.
- Keep abreast of regulatory changes that may impact the program and/or employees. Assist in executing change and communication plans.
- Manager E-verify, I-9 verification process including updating and archiving files.
On-boarding New Hires (FTE and Contractors)
- Handle all upfront tasks including new hire background checks, benefits packet creation, new hire notification, new hire giveaways and manager follow-up.
- Responsible for calendaring and coordinating new hire orientation including administering new hire buddy program.
- Responsible for creation of all new hire files and maintenance of personnel files.
- Provide training to all new hires on NGM benefits.
- Responsible for updating NGM Intranet including phone lists, organizational structure, events, birthdays, etc.
- Work with IT to continue to enhance NGM Intranet community.
- Capture and track HR metrics for various weekly and monthly reporting.
- Maintain and expand reporting capabilities of systems including SilkRoad Applicant Tracking and Onboarding systems and ADP Workforce Now.
- Work with director in the generation of annual Total Compensation statements.
- Complete employment/EDD verifications.
- Track changes and update Company organizational chart.
- Generate PAN forms for all personnel actions.
- Field accounting and payroll related requests.
- Partner with director in leading company events.
- Maintain events calendar.
- Help create social media postings.
- Create and update process flowcharts.
- Order NGM logo merchandise as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant area of study required.
- Superior verbal, written, and oral communication skills.
- High energy self-starter with high level of attention to detail.
- A true hands-on approach as well as the ability to successfully monitor the “pulse” of the employees to ensure a high level of employee engagement.
- Ability to multi-task, be highly organized in a fast paced, high volume, high pressure environment as well as prioritize changing objectives.
- Possesses a sense of urgency for meeting commitments and completing assignments.
- Strong ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Committed to providing exceptional customer service.
- Highly computer literate with excellent proficiency in MS Office.
- Strong Excel skills a must.
- 4+ years’ working with HR systems (HRIS).
- 8+ years’ experience in HR with concentration in benefits, compensation and immigration.
- Must be able to maintain discretion and confidentiality at all time