Vivarium Technician II/III
This position will perform the daily care and measurement of research animals for experimental purposes including, but not limited to, handling mice and performing technical procedures. Other duties will include: coordination with the senior manager on the administrative, operational, and technical responsibilities to support research projects, following standard operating procedures (SOP), and maintaining records to comply with regulatory requirements. Responsibilities
- Support research studies with tumor implantation and measurements using data collection software, experimental procedures, necropsy and sample collection. IP, PO, IV, SC,IT, IM skills desired.
- Perform blood draws by cardiac stick or retro-orbital techniques and sample collection for serology testing and microbial monitoring.
- Perform euthanization of mice as well as handle bio-waste for disposal.
- Assure that animals housed in the facility are properly identified, that individual animal records are up to date and available as needed.
- Order, maintain, receive and organize lab supplies, feed, bedding, caging equipment and other related supplies in a timely manner and according to SOPs.
- Assist Manager with daily oversight of the Vivarium to maintain compliance with regulations; recognize inconsistencies in SOPs and report them.
- Perform daily clinical observation of mice and reports any abnormalities to the Senior Manager or Attending Veterinarian and Principal Investigators.
- Support the organization in maintaining a work environment focused on quality and that fosters learning, open communication, collaboration, integration, and team work.
- Other duties as assigned.
- The Technician II will have 2+ years of hands-on experience in husbandry care; the Technician III will have at least 5 years of experience.
- IP, IV,PO, IT, SC, IM skills required.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to work some weekends and holidays on a rotating basis.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- AALAS (American Associate for Laboratory Animal Sciences) certification is preferred.