The Program Director will lead an early translational research program / track through the Catalyst Award Program. The Catalyst Award combines in-depth customized product development advice and funding to help drive promising early-stage research through the lengthy and complex process of translating ideas into patient benefit. Previous awardees include UCSF investigators whose works span a broad range of innovative concepts in therapeutics, diagnostics, medical devices and digital health. The expert consultation and funding they received enabled them to reach key milestones along the most effective development path toward safe and effective treatments and interventions.
The individual will provide management to Catalyst’s on-going programs and effectively transition programs from the start-up phase to a stable, mature and sustainable phase. They will be responsible for providing programmatic management as well as expert knowledge support and guidance to individual early translational researchers to ensure effective program implementation.
The Catalyst Program ( http://ctsi.ucsf.edu/catalyst ) reports into UCSF Innovation Ventures and works closely with The Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI). Innovation Ventures is a new group responsible for the translation of research into products, intellectual property, alliances and entrepreneurship. The Catalyst Program accelerates translation of research into products with clinical impact through funding, mentorship, and identification of resources. Catalyst aims to foster academic and industry collaborations as well as enhance education in early translational research and entrepreneurship.
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences.
• Advanced degree in related area (PhD, PharmD) in biological sciences, chemistry or in engineering disciplines with biological focus, e.g. bioengineering, biomedical or biochemical engineering
• 10 years of relevant experience beyond postdoctoral research, including five years in pharma, biotech, diagnostics or medical device industry and five additional years in industry or at a disease foundation, nonprofit, venture capital firm etc. where focus is on program and or alliance management for product development or evaluation of technologies in the therapeutics, diagnostic, medical device or digital health space
• Experience in either alliance management, program or project management or business development
• In-depth academic background and experience in selected area of research including record of publications in related field(s)
• Demonstrated ability and experience at conceptualizing new initiatives, assessing opportunities and synergies, garnering stakeholder support to launch a new initiative and transition a startup program through different development phases
• Advanced oral and written communication skills. Advanced skills analyzing information, problems, situations, policies or procedures to define the problem, need or objective
• Proven ability to formulate solutions, new program development, alternative choices and implications for implementation
• Advanced interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse groups to achieve results
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with internal and external peers, managers and teams
• Advanced program planning and management of projects
• Independent critical thinker. Results driven. Demonstrated cross-functional leadership in the organizations
• Highest standard of work ethics, team player, willing to taking on additional responsibilities in order to achieve team’s goals
• Project Management Professional Certification (PMP)
• Experience in managing intellectual property
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Apply today