Process Development Technician
The Process Development Technician position will support technology and process development efforts for our human stem cell-derived therapies within Asterias. The Process Development team facilitates testing and implementation of future production processes and technologies and is responsible for process conversions and technology integration to allow scale appropriate process transfer for either in-house or out-sourced production. This position will provide support for collaborations with Research, Production, Bioengineering, and Analytical Technologies to foster effective communication, technology transfer, and achievement of corporate goals. The position will perform work for PD and Research staff to enable process improvements targets and optimize process implementation. This position will be responsible for and participate in the daily operations of research and development laboratories.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
· Perform hands-on execution of experiments directed towards process development and optimization using undifferentiated human embryonic stem cells: including but not limited to:
· Preparation of cell culture raw materials
· Monitoring, sampling and documenting of cell culture performance
· Regular passaging of cells
· Thawing and freezing cell lines and processing samples
· Perform process sampling to monitor process development activities and optimization through adequate sample archives.
· Compile and maintain complete and accurate laboratory documentation and critical data in electronic files in a highly organized manner.
· Interact with Facilities to manage and troubleshoot cell culture equipment including calibration, certification, and repair.
· Maintain lab operations (supply restocking, ordering and inventory, schedule cleaning services and record keeping for equipment-use logs).
· Support drafting of technical documents (protocols, technical reports, summaries, process investigations, SOPs and batch records) as required.
· Collaborate with cross-functional teams i.e., Research, Quality, Production, and Analytical Technologies.
· BS in Biology, Biochemistry or related field.
· Laboratory research experience (minimum of 3-6 months in an academic or industry lab) desired.
· Excellent communication abilities (verbal, written, interpersonal).
· Excellent time management and organizational skills (schedules, timelines, task prioritization), with the ability to adapt to changing priorities.
· Excellent multi-tasking and problem-solving skills; solution-oriented; self-motivated.
· Experience in aseptic mammalian cell culture handling experience desired.
· Experience in cell-based therapy culture and/or development desired.
· A record of strong laboratory and critical thinking skills desired.
· Ability to work an alternative schedule (day shift encompassing Saturday and Sunday).
· Flexible in regards to holiday work schedule.
· Thrive and succeed in a team-oriented entrepreneurial environment.
Computer literacy with standard corporate (MS) required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.