Cloud Solutions Engineer II
Pharmacyclics is committed to the development and commercialization of novel therapies intended to improve the quality and duration of life and to resolve serious unmet medical needs for cancer patients. Pharmacyclics is a wholly-owned subsidiary of AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV), a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company. Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in more than 200 clinical trials for over 20 different types of cancer.
More than 1,200 Pharmacyclics and AbbVie research scientists, clinicians, marketing, operations and corporate professionals work in the San Francisco Bay Area. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. Together, we are striving to outsmart cancer.
General Position Summary/Purpose:
Reporting to Associate Director of IT Infrastructure Engineering, the Cloud Solutions Engineer II role is to provide hands-on technology leadership in the planning, engineering, architecture, deployment, and management of Cloud infrastructure projects. The Cloud Solutions Engineer is responsible for leading the creation of a technology framework and providing technical expertise in support of PCYC's initiatives in cloud computing and automation, with a focus on the design and implementation of systems and services that run-on cloud platforms. Additionally, the Cloud Engineer will be responsible for ensuring that critical applications are designed and optimized for high availability and disaster recovery. This hands-on role will be interfacing directly with Public, Private, and Hybrid cloud infrastructures.
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science or closely related subject; an advanced degree is preferred. In addition, 5 or more years' experience in designing complex IT operations in large organizations, preferably Life sciences is required. The position requires strong hands-on, leadership and team-building skills, and must be able to collaborate effectively with a group of high performing individuals.
Key Accountabilities/Core Job Responsibilities:
- Lead the IT infrastructure engineering projects that involve Cloud Computing and Automation.
- Demonstrate knowledge of cloud architecture and implementation features (OS, multi-tenancy, virtualization, orchestration, elastic scalability)
- Design, build, and improve cloud environments on Amazon Web Services, Azure and traditional data center environments.
- Provide advanced engineering support for Big Data and Analytics platforms - Hadoop, YARN, Cassandra and other distributed processing cluster computing.
- Provide advanced engineering support for cloud relational and non-relational databases (Amazon RDS, SQL Server, Oracle, Dynamo DB, Azure DB, etc. )
- Provide advanced engineering support to production support teams for complex application performance and infrastructure issues.
- Provide advanced engineering support for O365 and other SaaS platforms
- Demonstrate knowledge of DevOps tool chains and processes
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert to the organization for PCYC cloud end-to-end architecture, including AWS, Azure and future providers, networking, provisioning, and management
- Develop a library of deployable and documented cloud design patterns, based on the PCYC application portfolio, as a basis for deploying services to the cloud
- Demonstrate leadership ability to back decisions with research and the “why,” and articulate several options, the pros and cons for each, and a recommendation
- Develop solutions architecture and evaluate architectural alternatives for private, public and hybrid cloud models, including IaaS, PaaS, and other cloud services
- Contribute to DevOps development activities and complex development tasks
- Define optimal design patterns and solutions for high availability and disaster recovery for applications
- Deliver solutions to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of Client Systems Mgmt services.
- Contribute to a positive, supportive team and company culture.
- Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information skillfully and with an eye for simple, innovative solutions.
- Maintain overall industry knowledge on latest trends, technology, etc.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related field is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in Infrastructure Architecture including experience with VMware and other virtualization technologies is required.
- Implementation of AWS or Microsoft Azure and VMware enterprise is highly preferred.
- Proficiency with AWS Services (EC2, VPCs, ELB, S3/EBS, CFN, Direct Connect etc.) is highly preferred.
- Proficiency with Hadoop, YARN, Cassandra and other distributed processing cluster computing.
- Understanding of AWS and Azure infrastructure, instance deployment, migration and administration.
- Understanding of Active Directory Structure and Hybrid virtualized deployments with on perm virtualization solutions (Vmware).
- Experience with Cloud Disaster Recovery.
- Unified storage experience in both cloud and on-premise deployments.
- Systems troubleshooting, processing logs in Elasticsearch/Logstash/Kibana and root cause analysis.
- Deep understanding of DevOps technologies including Docker, Ansible, Jenkins, and others
- Expertise in modern programming languages such as: Shell/Bash,Perl, Ruby, Python, etc.
- Familiarity with databases: SQL, NoSQL, Oracle, DB2, etc.
- Strong experience working with Windows/Unix/Linux systems.
- Monitoring using Cloud Watch, Pulseways, Solarwinds, Splunk or similar service.
- Excellent project management, interpersonal and organizational skills, with the ability to drive and implement ideas in a changing environment.
- Identify requirements, configure tools, implement scripts, and test these deliverables to improve provisioning, configuration, deployment and administration of customer applications and infrastructure.
- Collaborate with team to implement and test infrastructure and architectural designs.
- Create streamlined workflows and processes for enterprise's infrastructure and deployment needs
- Create knowledge articles and documentation to help internal teams understand and leverage the implemented workflows and processes
- AWS Certified Associate Solutions or Azure Solutions Architect - MCSD Certified is a huge plus
- Preferred Skills/Abilities
- The individual must be a self-driven, motivated senior IT engineer with strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and leadership/good executive presence.
- Can work autonomously, a team player and possess the ability to interact and interface with all levels.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written); effective in interaction with other teams.
- Must be a self-starter and have excellent judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure but most importantly can plan and execute complex projects resulting in a successful implementation with minimal / zero downtime impact.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and tasks.