Research Associate I or II/Lab Manager
The Gladstone Institutes is an independent, not-for-profit research institution affiliated with the University of California San Francisco (UCSF), transforming the health and well-being of all people through medical research, education, and outreach in the fields focused on heart disease, immunology and virology including HIV/AIDS, neurological disease, and more recently data science and biotechnology. Home to notable leaders in the field of medical science, including 2012 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine recipient Shinya Yamanaka, M.D., Ph.D. Gladstone is comprised of its four institutes in addition to various centers and programs focusing approximately 500 members of our team on its mission: Science Overcoming Disease. Located in an award-winning building adjacent to UCSF's Mission Bay Campus, Gladstone offers a competitive salary and benefits program within a robust environment for those seeking to maximize their potential. Please consider Gladstone and make a difference in human health.
The Doudna and Fellmann labs are focused on developing innovative CRISPR-Cas tools through a better molecular understanding of the vast CRISPR-Cas biodiversity, and applying these tools to overcome human disease by pioneering novel delivery and genome surgery approaches to tackle the Achilles heels of specific genetic and somatic diseases.
Under the general direction and in consultation with the Supervisor, the Research Associate/Lab Manager is responsible for management and technical support of both the Doudna and Fellmann laboratories located at the Gladstone Institutes. The incumbent will oversee inventory and ordering of supplies, maintenance and acquisition of laboratory equipment, organization of events and meetings, help with funding endeavors, and coordination of lab safety efforts. The employee will also be expected to contribute original ideas and hands-on work in carrying out the varied facets of the research endeavor, as well as perform research techniques and procedures. The employee will help handling inter-laboratory collaborations, including exchange of materials and information. The employee may be additionally responsible for routine tissue culture, maintenance of buffers, and the production of materials for use in experiments, such as recombinant proteins and/or products of molecular cloning.
- Maintenance of laboratory inventory & ordering of research supplies.
- Perform research techniques and procedures aligned with the laboratory's aims.
- Acquisition of new equipment, coordinating service of equipment, fundraising endeavors.
- Introduction of incoming laboratory members (new postdocs, undergraduate researchers, staff, etc.) in lab safety training, lab organization, basic techniques/orientation.
- Acting as laboratory safety officer. Handling disposal of hazardous and/or regulated waste, including necessary documentation and compliance.
- Supporting the laboratory research efforts through the management of tissue culture reagents, buffers, protein purification, and others - as appropriate.
- Supporting inter-laboratory collaborations, including material and information transfer and documentation.
- Passion for being part of a scientific discovery team effort.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Aptitude and drive to learn and perform molecular and cell biology experiments.
- Excellent organization skills (keeping track of schedule, paperwork, sample storage, and inventory).
- Exceptional efficiency in keeping a laboratory productive and running smoothly.
- General computer skills (Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Illustrator) for keeping track of results and sharing progress. Additional skills in using project management and inventory/ordering management systems is a plus.
- Experience with standard molecular biology techniques including PCR, gel electrophoresis, western blot, microscopy, cell culture, etc. is a plus.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field of study (Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Bioengineering, Molecular Biology, or Genetics). Higher degrees in a similar field are optional.
Title and salary will be commensurate with education and experience.