Vir Biotechnology (Vir), a San Francisco based company focused on infectious disease, has established a robust research and development pipeline for the creation of new medicines using cutting edge genetic and antibody engineering approaches. Vir has created Vir Predictive Medicine (VirPM) to act as a center of excellence for applying cutting edge data science and informatics techniques to infectious diseases. Within the R&D organization, computational biology and bioinformatics will be an essential skill set for identification and analysis of targets and novel host pathways and proteins for the development of medicines to prevent or treat infectious diseases. Reporting to the Sr. Director, Informatics and Data Science, you will join a growing group of bioinformatics, data science, software, and modeling scientists and engineers at Vir Predictive Medicine.
You will work closely with scientists in Vir’s Research and Development team to establish data capture and analysis pipelines to support research into new targets, biomarkers, and drug candidates and perform analyses of data from a combination of public data sets as well as Vir research experiments and clinical trials. The ideal candidate will have experience in working with a range of different biological data sets and experience in utilizing existing tools as well as writing new algorithms and interfaces to provide an overall research solution.
- Create informatics data capture and analysis pipelines to support biological and chemical screens
- Develop algorithms for modeling, interpretation, and annotation of biological data.
- Develop applications for scientific researchers integrating a combination of new algorithm implementations, existing applications, APIs, data interfaces, and user interface toolkits.
- Closely work with scientists in R&D to assist in the analysis of experimental data sets in the R&D pipeline.
- Research datasets to support R&D activities, including human and mouse biology, gene expression, genetic variation, and model organisms to assist via computational analysis in all aspects of the R&D environment.
- Learn the required biology to develop subject matter expertise in therapeutic programs at Vir.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in implementing bioinformatics pipelines for the analysis of high-throughput data sets. Experience in utilizing AWS a plus.
- Experience working with a wide range of life science data sets including biological assays, NGS, transcriptomics, RNA-Seq, pathways, and proteomics.
- Excellent software development skills including languages such as Python, R, and Java/C++; SQL and relational databases; and source code control (Git).
- Broad knowledge of both open-source and proprietary computational tools and databases.
- Experience in the application of informatics/data science analytical approaches to specific R&D questions e.g., around targets, therapeutics, biomarkers, and diagnostics.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to communicate effectively with both scientific and engineering groups.
- Ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects and bring projects to a successful, timely completion.
- 5+ years’ experience in developing bioinformatics pipelines and related applications with some combination of background in software development, bioinformatics, and statistics.
- Experience with applying bioinformatics inside a biotech/pharmaceutical organization a plus.
- Experience in immunology and microbiome a plus.
- Experience with machine learning and Bayesian inference a plus.
- Publication record in prior experience a plus.
- Experience in protein structural prediction, molecule docking, and analysis of complex sequencing datasets a plus.
- Advanced degree (MS or PhD) in bioinformatics, computational biology, or a related field. Studies in a relevant area such as immunology, cell biology, infectious disease a plus.