Pharmacyclics is committed to the development and commercialization of novel therapies intended to improve the quality and duration of life and to resolve serious unmet medical needs for cancer patients. Pharmacyclics is a wholly-owned subsidiary of AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV), a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company. Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in more than 200 clinical trials for over 20 different types of cancer.
More than 1,200 Pharmacyclics and AbbVie research scientists, clinicians, marketing, operations and corporate professionals work in the San Francisco Bay Area. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. Together, we are striving to outsmart cancer.
The primary role of the Procurement Specialist is to coordinate and execute the day to day operations of the purchasing of indirect goods and services, while ensuring the business requirements are met at the best available price. This role requires the application of procurement and finance expertise, situational management, and exceptional people skills. The Procurement Specialist is a procurement Subject Matter Expert (SME), and will act as an integral liaison in all relevant matters for Business, Legal, Finance and Vendors. Together with the Procurement Team and Finance Operational Excellence Team, he or she is accountable for delivering procurement excellence across the relevant people, processes, and technology, and will support the implementation of continuous improvement initiatives.
- Under limited direction, this role is accountable for the execution of purchasing duties related to the procurement of services and goods in accordance with established procedures and policies
- Develop and demonstrate subject matter expertise necessary to support the Procure To Pay (PTP) needs of a highly technical and regulated industry, including GXP requirements and best practices
- Responsible for the proactive resolution of complex business challenges, which will require frequent interactions with internal stakeholders and support functions as well as external suppliers
- Prioritize, expedite, maintain, cancel, defer, and otherwise manage purchase requests and orders to meet business needs, leveraging a range of automated or manual processes
- Ensure all transactions are completed in accordance with the service level agreements and performance metrics: Purchase Order (PO) placement and confirmations, order exceptions, urgent requests, backorder resolution, invoice discrepancies, customer inquiries, etc.
- Review and confirm the completeness and accuracy of information provided to prepare and process purchase requisitions, purchase orders, and contracts
- Assist Accounts Payable with research to support purchase order and invoicing reconciliation
- Support Vendor Master data management by performing new vendor reviews and creating approved new vendors in AX (vendor system of record), and manage associated documentation
- Actively participate and advise Procure To Pay (PTP) and related Finance projects as required
- Conduct research and analysis and perform data interpretation to develop business insights
- Fully comprehend and appropriately administer corporate policies related to the commitment of funds, signatory authority, approval matrix, contracts, and payment term standards
- Review key terms in proposed contracts to ensure compliance with policies and advocate for the most advantageous terms for PCYC
- Train business stakeholders on pertinent processes, systems, and supporting policies
- Perform and implement Corrective Actions and Preventive Actions (CAPA) as corrections or improvements to organizational processes taken to eliminate causes of non-conformities or other adverse situations
- Prepare documentation in support of external and internal audits
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Strong organization skills; demonstrated experience successfully managing competing priorities and proven record of meeting established deadlines
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal; consistently demonstrates professional communication and exceptional interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and negotiation skills; ability to evaluate and synthesize extensive or diverse data sets
- Highly proficient in MS Office tools, especially Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook; proven ability to quickly learn and utilize new systems and software
- Demonstrated ability to quickly adapt and excel in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities, while maintaining a constant commitment to the highest level of work quality
- Knowledge of ERP, purchase requisition/order and contracting systems and processes; proven order management experience and forecasting knowledge
- Sufficient technical knowledge to effectively interface internally with Research and Development, Finance, Accounting, Legal, Regulatory, as well as external vendors
- High School Diploma required; Associate's or Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Engineering, Supply Chain, or related field highly desirable
- Familiarity with applicable federal and state laws and regulations required
- Formal problem-solving training highly desirable
- Experience with Microsoft AX and Apttus highly desirable; experience with contracts preferred
- Prior Pharmaceutical industry experience highly desirable; at least 2 years of experience in Procurement or related field required