Senior Associate of Business Dev., Strategy and Digital Health
Amgen is seeking a Senior Associate of Business Development, Strategy, and Digital Health at its main headquarters in Thousand Oaks, CA to join the Innovation group within the Strategy, Commercialization and Innovation (SC&I) and will report into the Corporate Development Director.
The SC&I is currently building a portfolio of healthcare technology solutions which support Amgen's therapeutic franchises and which utilize digital health, diagnostics, formulation, and drug delivery technologies. The Senior Associate, internally known as the Senior Associate of Business Development, will provide project management support for the external technology search and evaluation process and contribute strategic analyses relating to industry trends and Amgen's Innovation strategy and technology portfolio.
This opportunity is a mix of strategic operations, business development, and strategy. Career development in all three areas is possible and dependent upon interest, aptitude, and business need.
The Senior Associate of Business Development, Strategy, and Digital Health is specifically responsible for:
- Logs, evaluates, and triages inbound technology opportunities in the fields of mobile computing, data science, biometric monitoring (e.g. wearable technology), connected devices, formulation technology, diagnostics, and drug delivery devices
- Supports Innovation team members as they work with therapeutic franchise leadership to develop business cases and healthcare technology strategies around Amgen products by organizing workshops, interviewing stakeholders, performing secondary research, and synthesizing and presenting research findings to senior executives
- Utilizes established business development best practices to coordinate and document the weekly business development team staff meeting and the monthly technology evaluation meeting (e.g. compile agendas and minutes, prepare opportunity summaries, present process flow metrics, etc.)
- Coordinates bimonthly meetings of the internal executive advisory committee for Innovation
- Develops technology landscape analyses which provide insights about the "state of the art" of technology in our focus areas to leaders across the entire business, including therapeutic franchise leadership, Amgen Ventures, and Innovation leadership
Bachelor's degree and 2 years of business development, strategy or technology experience
Associate's degree and 6 years of business development, strategy, or technology experience
High school diploma / GED and 8 years of business development, strategy, or technology experience
- 2 years of professional experience in a corporate environment
- Master's or doctorate degree in a relevant technology discipline or business
- Professional experience in one of the following roles and/or organizations: a technology development, business development, or strategy role in a pharmaceutical company; experience in a management consulting firm; experience in a digital health company; experience in a payer organization, or experience in a healthcare delivery organization (e.g. hospital, integrated delivery network, etc.)
- Strong scientific, organizational, communication, and project management skills with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Professional demeanor and excellent presentation and communication skills pertaining to science, technology, and business strategy
- Collaborative with the ability to both participate in and lead cross functional teams
- Ability to independently identify problems and proactively solve them
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.