Associate Director/Director, Computational Biology
Position description and scope:
An experienced bioinformatician is sought to lead the Computational Biology support of the preclinical and clinical stage programs in the Regulus Portfolio. The scientist will be responsible for overseeing the generation and analysis of microRNA and mRNA data obtained with next generation sequencing and high throughput qPCR and the bioinformatic support of all programs. He/she will also help identify new disease targets and support our drug discovery programs as well as assist in regulatory document preparation as appropriate. The incumbent will represent Computational Biology on the R&D Lead Team. The scientist will work closely with external consultants and contract organizations as needed to support the computational biology needs of Regulus. This position will report directly to the Chief Medical Officer.
- Oversee the generation of and analysis of microRNA and mRNA expression data obtained via multiple platforms including next generation sequencing
- Support of drug discovery teams providing input on study design and data interpretation
- Integrative analyses of literature and de novo data for therapeutic target identification and validation
- Support data management and bioinformatics pipelines for Regulus programs
- Creating novel algorithms maintaining our microRNA expression data analysis leadership by adapting novel analytical tools to specific challenges
- Communicating with academic and industrial partners on the results
- Build a network of supporting CROs capable of delivering timely, high quality, and cost-effective data for research and clinical programs
- Provide advice and insights regarding a range of drug development issues and scientific knowledge to fellow scientists and senior management
- Supervise, coach, and mentor members of the Computational Biology group
- Prepare appropriate overview documents for IND submissions, Investigator Brochures, and other regulatory documents
- Provide input on the strategy and research of the Regulus Portfolio via participation on the R&D Lead Team
- PhD in Computational biology (or Computer Science with additional training in biology) with 5+ years of biotechnology or pharmaceutical drug discovery/development experience
- Previous experience with RNA-Seq and gene expression data analysis (pre-processing, differential expression) is required.
- Experience in cell biology, pharmacology, and/or biochemistry is strongly preferred; Knowledge of microRNA is preferred
- Fluency in R and at least one programming language (e.g. PERL, Python) is essential
- Knowledge of relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle) is desirable
- Familiarity with statistical methods required
- Prior formal experience and line function leadership of a computational biology group
- Capable of working independently within a highly matrixed environment and provide cross-functional support for teams
- Demonstrated success managing interactions with external CROs, consultants, and other contract organizations
- Highly effective in team settings- willingness to openly share ideas and expertise
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with frequent course corrections
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills
- High level of self-motivation, detail oriented, and ability to lead and drive problem solving with an entrepreneurial spirit
Regulus Therapeutics Inc. (Nasdaq: RGLS) is a biopharmaceutical company leading the discovery and development of innovative medicines targeting microRNAs. Regulus has leveraged its oligonucleotide drug discovery and development expertise to develop a well-balanced microRNA therapeutics pipeline complemented by a rich intellectual property estate to retain its leadership in the microRNA field. Regulus is advancing several programs in renal, hepatic and central nervous systems diseases.
Regulus is located in La Jolla, California and is led by a seasoned executive team experienced in corporate management, business, science, drug discovery and development. Regulus' scientific advisory board consists of world-class scientists and some of the foremost authorities in the field of microRNA research.
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
For immediate consideration, please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org
You can visit our website to find out more about our company and culture: www.RegulusRx.com.
Reference job code: 569
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY
Regulus Therapeutics, Inc, is proud to be an EEO Employer.