Scientist, Cellular Biology and Immunology
At Abbvie Immunology we focus on investigating novel solutions to help improve patient care across a variety of autoimmune and chronic infection diseases with unmet needs. We focus our target discovery efforts on pathways that have direct correlates with disease activity and patient symptoms.
We are seeking a highly motivated and talented Scientist for a position in Discovery Immunology in Worcester, MA. A successful candidate should have a strong background in cell biology and immunology.. The position offers a unique opportunity for a talented scientist to work in a dynamic, innovative, and multi-disciplinary environment to develop their career at the interface of basic research, target discovery and early drug discovery.
The scientist will be responsible for the design, execution and analysis of immune cell based assays. The position requires ability to work independently, have excellent technical, written and oral communication skills and work very well in a collaborative team environment.
- Tissue handling and processing for molecular and cellular phenotyping and functional cellular assay experiments
- Conduct multicolor flow cytometry and cell sorting
- Design, develop, evaluate and implement well-controlled in vitro assays to address target biology and drug biology
- Planning and coordination of experiments with team members and facility operations.
- Analysis and presentation of data, providing scientific interpretations and recommendations in lab meetings and project team meetings.
- Maintaining accurate and well-organized records and laboratory notebook.
- Supporting development of protocols, study reports and data presentations
- BS, MS in Immunology or related field with typically 7+ (BS), or 3+ (MS) years of experience
- Strong research background in molecular and cellular immunology, specifically with working knowledge in human auto-immunology is preferred.
- General knowledge of molecular and transcriptional pathways regulating T cell proliferation, differentiation and effector function.
- Proficient in multi-color flow cytometry - both handling flow cytometer (Fortessa, Canto LSR) and independently analyze the data using analytical software such as FlowJo is required.
- Extensive hands on experience in isolation (Magnetic separation) and manipulation of human primary immune cells from blood or tissue (Monocytes, B cells, T cells, DCs), immunological phenotyping of subsets of immune cells.
- Experience in in vitro immune assays such as - Dendritic cell differentiation assay, T cell proliferation assay, CTL assay, T cell polarization assays. Knowledge of in vivo PD and mouse IBD model systems would be a plus.
- Basic immunological and molecular biology assay skills: Tissue culture, Transfection, ELISA, Western blot, intracellular cytokine analysis, Luciferase assay.
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the team to enable high performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change the course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled