Senior Scientist, Immuno-Oncology
ORIC is seeking a cancer immunologist to explore activity, mechanism and rational combinations for our clinical and preclinical therapeutic molecules. The successful candidate will be a strategic member of a fast-paced and interactive research group contributing to the discovery and development of novel therapeutics.
The Senior Scientist reports to the Head of Biology and collaborates extensively with the In Vivo Pharmacology team. Works closely with Medicinal Chemistry and DMPK teams on drug discovery efforts.
- Develop, design, execute and validate various in vitro and ex vivo model systems/assays to drive preclinical drug discovery and define mechanism of action of therapeutic molecules in the area of immuno-oncology
- Evaluate and characterize pharmacological responses to novel compounds in variety of in vitro and ex vivo human and mouse cancer systems (e.g. effects on composition/functions of the tumor microenvironment)
- Perform day-to-day laboratory bench work and present scientific findings/results with line management
- Provide experimental support and immunology expertise to support transition of drug candidates into clinical development
- Read and adapt scientific literature to accomplish projects’ goals
- Support drug discovery and early development programs by providing relevant scientific and strategic input to project teams regarding relevant biomarkers and pharmacodynamic models.
- Search, evaluate and adopt the latest methodology/ technology to increase the functionality and efficiency of preclinical immuno-oncology research
- Execute experiments and scientific tasks with a high level of independence, scientific rigor and curiosity
- Manage internal and external (academic and contract research organizations) resources to deliver quality data in an efficient manner.
- Ph.D.in immunology, cancer immunology, or related field with relevant post-doctoral research experience.
- At least 3 years of relevant biopharmaceutical industry experience in the fields of immuno-oncology and/or inflammation
- Demonstrated proficiency in broad range of experimental techniques
- Ability to work with minimum supervision in generating experimental hypothesis, designing complex experiments, carrying out data acquisition, analysis, storage and interpretation.
- Extensive hands-on experience utilizing various multi-color flow-cytometry platforms and multiplex Luminex/MSD ELISA is required.
- Hands-on-experience with ex vivo immune cell profiling and in vitro manipulations such as, but not limited to, immune cell differentiation, activation and suppression, is required
- Practical knowledge of CRISPR- and/or shRNA mediated gene editing
- Experience with gene expression analysis, western blot, immuno-fluorescence, IHC is preferred
- Broad understanding of drug development, especially immuno-oncology therapies
- Ability to collaborate effectively cross-functionally and in a team setting
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced dynamic environment while delivering high quality work
About ORIC Pharmaceuticals
ORIC Pharmaceuticals is a privately held oncology company focused on making cancer treatments more effective by addressing mechanisms of resistance. ORIC was founded by Drs. Charles Sawyers MD and Scott Lowe PhD, who have strong records of discovering innovative treatments and targets in cancer. The company has assembled strong leadership and scientific teams and a board with extensive experience in drug development and financing. ORIC is funded by leading biotechnology investors, including The Column Group, Topspin Partners, OrbiMed Advisors, EcoR1 Capital, Fidelity Management & Research Company, Trinitas Capital, Foresite Capital, Taiho Ventures, Memorial Sloan Kettering, Kravis Investment Partners and NS Investment. ORIC is headquartered in South San Francisco, California.